What do I do if my daughter stays dry for weeks n than starts havin a couple accidents a day randomly?

My daughter can stay dry for days at a time, than she will just start having like 3 n 4 accidents a day for couple days at a time. Shes speech delayed but she usually just goes to potty if we are home. And I ask n ask n ask her if she has to go, but since weathers getting nicer and shes outside playing or evening playing in her play room she goes in her pants...should i start asking her every hr again? and making her try every hr again? Has this happen to anyone else ?

MamaOf3Girls09

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 3:40 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd try two things:
    Keep track of when she last went and tell her it's time to go if it's been more than 2 to 3 hours.
    and
    If she actually goes when you send her to the potty, make a note of what she is actually doing when you interrupted her.
    I think you'll see that it's not quite "random". She is probably very wrapped up in something when you force her to stop playing and go pee. That's what usually happens for preschoolers and older kids when they have accidents - they are super involved in something or simply overwhelmed at a new situtation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:34 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My son would often have minor regressions where he's dry for months, and then one week he'll have 2 accidents a day, then back to dry. It's pretty normal to his this pattern, from what I've read of other posts. A couple of things for you to do is learn your daughter's signals and when YOU see them, tell her (don't ask) to go potty. Say, "I can see that you have to go potty (and tell her how you know). Please go and then you can keep doing..." I noticed that when I asked my son IF he had to go, he would say no, and then have an accident. But when I TOLD him to go, he would. I think calling it out to him helped him learn his own signals as well.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:16 PM on May. 22, 2009

• shes has another accident n she just sits there like she didnt...i said u gotta go she says no...i said did u go in ur panties she says yes n she DID...im about to loose it...im going nuts!! she has been dry for weeks n now last two days she musta had 6 accidents all pee!
    MamaOf3Girls09

Answer by MamaOf3Girls09 at 8:22 PM on May. 22, 2009

• That's frustrating. It seems to me that she is too focused on finishing her fun play times, thinking it is okay to just revert back to how things used to be done.

I am wondering if you can get her motivated with the reward system, something that outweighs whatever she is playing with that she does not want to leave.

I am also wondering if punishment, taking some reward away...is better...to help reinforce what she already knows should be done. If so, what are we teaching? That not going to the big bathroom is causing loss....or are we setting up negative ideas with bathroom use...in her mind, causing more problems?

Would it help to say nicely, "Oh, you must be too tired to go to potty in there...you should lie down for fifteen minutes" and take her away from the play project she was working on when it happened?
    I think that might work, i.e., "Go to potty, THEN return to play fun!" Real life. What do you think?
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 9:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I would just chalk it up to the fact that she is little and she is going to have accidents. My daughter is going to be 5 and has been trained for 3 years now. Out of the blue she started wetting the bed. It happens. No kid is perfect. She will get it. My son is 3 and I'm about to go nuts. He will pee with no accidents and then when he gets "busy, playing with toys or watching TV or in his world, he will have an accident and one accident will provoke another and another and then he will get control back. Please be patient Mommy. She will get it. Some babies are just incline to have accidents. It's their nature. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:15 PM on May. 22, 2009