"BF moms MUST supplement w. FORMULA or Vitamin D"...

Hm?!? Well my son had his 2 month check the other day and his pediatrician asked all the "how much is he eating and sleeping and blah blah blah questions...

ANYWAY he knows i am EBF, btw his weight and growth is perfect... when he tells me.. well you can either start supplementing w some formula per day OR i can prescribe him some vitamin D droplets...

I said "hm?!?" why? i never did that w my other children and they were ALL EBF until they started solids. he said it's a "new" recommendation for breast feeding moms to either give some formula (which i guess already contain the ADDED vitamin D) OR give these droplets.

I haven't given him the vitamin. What do you girls think? have you EBF moms heard this info before from your ped?

mommy-2-3

Asked by mommy-2-3 at 3:40 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They are finding that Vitamin D defficancy is going up, and there are lots of reasons. If you don't want to do the drops then just take your child outside for about 5 minutes w/out sunscreen, maybe a little longer, that's the best way to boost Vitamin D levels
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:43 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I have heard it, but they get enough vitamin d if you take them in the sun for 10 minutes a day.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:43 PM on May. 22, 2009

• hmmm? I haven't heard of this "new" technique yet...but I stopped BFing at 2 months...

hope you find an answer!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• interesting..direct sun or just out?
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Indirect sun works, but being too much in the shade does not work. They actually get more Vitamin D this way and they get it the way nature intended.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It's BS. That's like putting someone on chemo therapy to prevent cancer. Unless you've been diagnose with a vitamin deficiency, there's no need to supplement. To prevent deficiencies, get natural sources of vitamins. Vitamin D comes from the sun. My pedi told me my baby needed vitamins. No blood work, no signs of deficiencies, no reason. She just needed them. I told him that was BS and that I'm not giving her that artificial junk.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:05 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Its funny that you ask this because Monday was my sons 9 month check up and while there the nurse AND the doctor both asked that same thing and then BOTH said right after "oh nevermind you are breastfeeding him so he gets all of his vitamins from that", I do know that when my son went in for his very first appointment after he was born (I think its like two days after we went home) they were "concerned" about his weight loss and kept telling me I needed to supplement with formula but I refused to and told them so, and guess what he is fine weight wise, and health wise and has NEVER had formula OR vitamins, I would say to find a new doc but since thats not always feasible, I think you just need to be straight with him and let him know that you will NOT supplement or give vitamins because your baby gets that from bm, as far as Vita D PP is right sun light not direct so just go outside with him for a lil while a day

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 4:07 PM on May. 22, 2009

• i havn't , but i didn't breast feed. Maybe new studies are showing that moms aren't making enough vitamin d in there milk now days to fulfill a childs needs. If you are exclusively breast feeding and really aren't comfortable supplementing with formula, then i would just choose the drops. Then again you could prob go to a different pediatrician and them tell you soemthing different. I guess bottom line is if your child is growing properly and no medical issues. then do what you as the mother what your gut is telling you. Don't do something if you aren't comfortable with it. You can always seek a second opinion. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• Mine is 11 weeks and the doc. has never said that. She was just a little jaundice when she was born and they told me to open the blindes and let her get some 'light sunshine.'
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:12 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I give my son tri-vi-sol 2-3 times a week.. If the doctor says there is a rise in calcium deficiency due to lack of vitamin D I'm going to give vitamin D to my son.. why take the risk NOT to? I chose to BF because it was healthiest for my son (not bashing FF mothers) If giving some vitamin D helps my son to process the calcium in my mild so be it. It's not hurting him any
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:29 PM on May. 22, 2009