Are people getting meaner?

Most of the time I encounter very nice people, but I have noticed that the rude ones here lately have been very rude.

I don't know is it just me? or does it seem like people are getting meaner?

Note: Do not bash anons on this question please.

violaswamp

Asked by violaswamp at 3:45 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not just on here but in the world in general. I work in customer service and have been at the same place for 7 years. Never have I had people be so down right rude to me before this year. People call me "Missy" not my name....throw there credit card/check at me when paying for there service yell at me on the phone all sots of stuff. I think everyone is just more stressed right now and take it out on who they believe are the little people.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 4:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think that people are getting fed up, and meaner yes, I think I have been one of those persons lately. I try to be nice and supportive but I just can't sometimes I get so short with people.
    for those i have been rude to, Im sorry.
    For those that have deserved it though, screw off!
    Anonymous

• You know how when you hang out with friends they say your mens. cycles start to match. Maybe it works through the internet too. LOL :)
    casd

Answer by casd at 3:50 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Haha Casd!

I was just thinking that things seemed to be getting better... but then again I haven't been on as much so maybe that's why I am perceiving things that way. Did something specific happen?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:05 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Maybe people are just more stressed because the economy is so crappy right now?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I'm sure we can all think of why people may seem to be getting meaner. But I don't think people have changed their attitudes. I just think we've changed the media where we encounter it. As more and more of the world becomes connected to the internet you will find more and more a-holes in the world.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Generally speaking, I think that the American population has become more selfish, more stupid and more fractured over the past 30 years. Those whose behaviors we used to try to emulate (politicians, sports figures, actors, etc) are behaving cruelly and outrageously and that trickles down to become "acceptable" behavior.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:39 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think everyone's completely stretched to their limit. We are busier and broker than ever as a nation. We strive for more efficiency by eliminating the need for person-to-person contact, so everyday pleasantries have just about vanished. Think of that friend who will text/email you rather than call; or, call to leave you a message when they know you're not home. (Not that I'M guilty of this...;-) And with the easy access to information ALL of the time, we're scared to death of everyone and everyone. Tragic events can happen halfway across the world, and we hear about it IMMEDIATELY and non-stop on the 5, 6, 7, 10 & 11 o'clock news and hourly on CNN... All of that to say, I think our "sensitivity" bars are a lot lower than that of our parents (just like every generation before us.) So, the meanness gets served a little more often...
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 4:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I agree with jonosama - we are stretched to our limit. Between work, school, kids, and errands I don't think anyone has time to be nice anymore. We need to make more time for pleasantries. Ask someone how they are doing and stick around for the answer.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yea I meant in general not just on the internet. It's weird I expect people to be rude on the internet, but not in real life, don't know why I think that way but I do.

Sadira my job is a receptionist for a motorcycle dealership and lately instead of just saying hello how are you? when people walk in I try to strike up a conversation with them, sometimes it comes back to bite me in the ass though because if someone somewhere else in the store pisses them off they think they can come back and gripe at me for it *sigh. I just say "i know I know" " I am so sorry that happened to you" "is there anything we can do to change your mind?" Sometimes it is a long six hours for me.

But I am soooo thankful I have a job.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 5:40 PM on May. 22, 2009