Spitting

How do I get my almost 3 year old to STOP spitting, I've talked to him and told him it's bad and why, sturnly told him to stop, put him in time out, spanked him and he still does it and think its funny. Please Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him places where he can practice spitting, like while brushing his teeth. I found that some behaviors are easier to get a handle on when you provide them acceptable alternatives. So rather than saying spitting is bad, say spitting is for the bathroom - if you want to spit, do it in there. That helped my son through this phase, maybe it will help yours too.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My son does this too and it drives my crazy! I tell him spitting is for when you brush your teeth and that seems to be helping so far. Good luck!
    joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 6:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Mine almost got thrown out of preschool because he wouldn't stop spitting. For him it was an impulse control, so I made him stop spitting completely- no spitting time, nothing. You know, if you can't do it right, you won't do it at all. then i gave him a new habit- like, everytime you want to spit, wink your right eye or something. He stayed in school, but barely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on May. 25, 2009