How far is too far?

With the spotlight that has been on the mother of the boy with cancer.......how far is too far? Where is the line drawn for people/government to be able to come in and change our decisions because the choice we made didn't line up with the majority?

theyareallmine

Asked by theyareallmine at 3:58 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why is the government so concerned with this mother and her decision to use alternate medicine, yet 1000s of children across the country live in abusive, neglective (is that even a word?), terrible conditions and stay that way til the child is either near death or dead cause the system is "complicated"? Why doesn't the government step in for parents with sick children who are turned away to get treatment cause they can't afford it or don't have the right insurance and their children suffer? We have a messed up government and I don't even pretend to understand it or how it works..... It makes me think, if I don't make what the government thinks is the right decision for my child, will they come and take my child? How is it okay for the government to move the line when they feel fit?
    sylviapike26

Answer by sylviapike26 at 8:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It's not about lining up with the majority. It's about protecting a very sick child whose parents won't get him the treatment he needs to survive. It's not like they are court ordering her to get him vaccinated or to breastfeed a child. They are ordering lifesaving treatment for a condition that WILL KILL HIM if left untreated.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:59 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Note....I am not choosing a side in the debate over whether that mom is right or wrong. I was only thinking about our rights a parents, and how it may affect us (as parents) in the ling run.
    theyareallmine

Answer by theyareallmine at 4:00 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think the child health should be the number one priority, even if that infringes on a parents so-called beliefs. If my child had cancer and him rolling around in cow poo could possibly cure him I would have him do it.
    Mel85

Answer by Mel85 at 4:16 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think it should almost always be the parents choice, unless the parents have a history of neglect or abuse and don't have the best interest of their child(ren) in mind. This is a tuff and very sad situation.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think if you are really well informened on both sides tradional medican and altertive medicine and can show your case to the doctor and court then it should be the parents choice. i mean WELL informed. I aslo think there is more to this story that the press is not saying. I have so many mixed feelings about the whole thing.
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 4:24 PM on May. 22, 2009

• i think the child is the number one priority, he shouldn't have to die because his mother is a religious nutcase.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The question is not just about this case, or medical treatments. It is about how far do you feel the government should be allowed to go. In all areas of decision making as a parent.
    theyareallmine

Answer by theyareallmine at 5:23 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The government should only be able to take over your decision making if you are clearly making decisions that are harmful or neglectful of your child's needs. If you are making a decision that is in fact killing your child, the government has the right to say that you cannot do that. I am all about natural medicine, but when it's clearly not enough, you either seek treatment, or expect the government to for you in cases where a child's life is at stake.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:33 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The government doesn't have ANY right to dictate to parents how to raise their children. The ONLY time they should be allowed to step in is if there is neglect or abuse going on. Even those are subjective. Just because one mother changes her baby's diaper every hour and another only changes every 3 hrs doesn't mean there's neglect going on. I also don't believe spanking a child on the butt for willful disobedience is abuse. So allowing the government to decide what's "good" for our kids doesn't mean they're right. Especially if it's infringing on religious beliefs.

continued on next answer...

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 6:02 PM on May. 22, 2009