Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*down there* std?

I'm pretty sure I have a UTI based on the symptoms, but some moms have brought up that I could also have an std. this scares me! I was diagnosed with HPV in '07 when I was preggo as well as chlamydia. the latter was cured and they treated SO too. but the HPV no. I never had a wart outbreak, and the dr. noticed a few abnormal cells. but we havent gotten around to further testing because my insurance got cancelled. so all I can afford is standard pap tests, still..better than nothing. any info you can give me is very much appreciated! SO is bringing home a uti test after work

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Health

Answers (5)
  • If you are in a monogamous relationship (neither you or your SO is sleeping with anyone else) then you should not be at risk for an STD. If you are not at risk, it's more likely a UTI. If you are at risk for any reason, then you need to see a doctor.

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:05 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • I think you need to go to the Dr. Look up  the health dept in your city. They offer free testing and treatment. Asking the opinions of others may give you helpful advice but you truly need to be seen by a professional. Good luck.


    Answer by lostshel at 4:07 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • yes I will be stopping by the public health center next week! its that time of year for a pap test, but I will go for the tests on "whats possibly wrong with me" first! I sure wish I could see my ob/gyn. he was a great doctor. but he's so expensive. I cant think of the name of this test....Co-something- but they charge $400-500! just to take a sample of my cells! crazy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • You don't have to have a wart outbreak for the HPV to be affecting your cervix. If they found abnormal cells then you need to have that colposcopy ASAP. The abnormal cells typically grow slowly, but they can turn into cancer, and if you've had no biopsies then you have no idea what stage those abnormal cells are at. There probably won't be any symptoms, certainly none that mimic a UTI.

    Get to a doctor. It's better than worrying about it, and if you need treatment then it's much easier to treat sooner than later. Your life is important! Doctors/medical office will take payments if you let them know that you can't pay it all right away; some may even charge you on a sliding scale.

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:37 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • i tried calling my ob/gyn twice today and had no callbacks, no answer. so I'll try them on tuesday! if they wont be able to help with a financial plan or whatever I guess I'll have to go to the health center, but I dont think they do colpo's

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:50 PM on May. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.