Why do we celebrate Memorial Day? Shouldn't we be mourning?

I just don't feel that celebrating Memorial Day is appropriate. I think it should be observed in a day of silence in honor of those brave soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice. We aren't celebrating Memorial Day. We are having a family get together in honor of my nephew who came home from the war in December. Thank God! Your thoughts?

MIMI_3

Asked by MIMI_3 at 4:19 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• If they wanted everyone to be sad they picked the wrong date...I see what your saying, but its just getting warm you give people a day off with weather like this they will pull out the grills and boats and have fun!! I dont know anyone that thinks about the true reason behind memorial day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:23 PM on May. 22, 2009

• That is exactly why they didn't turn 9/11 into a holiday. It should be a day or rememberance, not bbqs and shopping sales.

That being said, we are bbqing on Sunday, but DD4 is marching in a parade on Monday, we'll honor the soldiers then...although not silently, we'll proudly wave our flags.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Perhaps it is a time to remember those we loved so much who gave their lives that we could have our barbecues and our sales, as well as all of our loved ones who have passed on. I don't feel guilt about not spending the day in a state of sadness, more of a time to send our love and thanks heavenward. I had an uncle who died in WWII. My grandparents were the most enthusiastic people in their town decorating their house for Decoration Day, now known as Memorial Day, and participating in the town parade. On Sunday we'll visit Dad's grave.

Answer by Bmat at 4:39 PM on May. 22, 2009

• You can look at it all dark or you can look at it as celebrating the life they had
    Anonymous

• I'm not looking at it as "dark" I'm just saying that we should acknowledge it for what it is "Memorial Day" ...remember those who gave their lives so that we might enjoy our freedom. I just think we take the holiday for granted. Yeah we get a day off of work or out of school which is great but I think we should all take a minute to pay homage.
    My sister's best friend's son died in Iraq, 3 years ago. He was a Pfc in the Army and 22 years young.
    We should remember guys like him.
    MIMI_3

Answer by MIMI_3 at 4:54 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I remember those I lost. I go to the graveyard but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have a bbq
    Anonymous

• I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A BBQ :) I'M MERELY STATING MY OPINION AND THAT IS THAT THE DAY SHOULD BE A DAY OF REMEMBRANCE NOT CELEBRATION.
    MIMI_3

Answer by MIMI_3 at 8:46 PM on May. 22, 2009

• OP... I see your point, but it's also a healing process for many to honor those who are serving our country and those who have served.
    Just like 9-11 my dh lost 343 brotherens and we don't mourn but honor those men and women who went in and never came out. It's a healing process. (JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:47 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I think celebrating their lives wit FAMILY get together and parades is good. I think the memorial day SALES are tacky.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:37 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I see Memorial Day as a time to celebrate our freedom that is protected by those veterans.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:37 PM on May. 29, 2009