What do your children know about homosexuality?

This is somewhat related to the "what do you think about this [sexual orientation curriculum]" question going around. My boys know men and women who are straight and gay, and it's been a natural part of how the world is for them pretty much their whole lives. I know people have differing, and VERY STRONG opinions on the subject, so I'm just curious what your kids do know, what you've taught them and what they've been exposed to from the rest of the world.

Sarah_Dorian

Asked by Sarah_Dorian at 5:03 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nothing yet, although my college roommate is getting married this summer to her soon to be partner. I am taking my two year old to that, but she most likely is still too young to ask questions at this point.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:04 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well-my mother in law is a lesbian and she and her partner were married in a church. My boys went to that. They don't really know anything different than they have 2 grandmas on that side.

I haven't come out and said 'gay' or labeled them. I will answer any questions that they have honestly when/if they ask.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 5:05 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Not too much. My 8 year old knows that our gay friends are married, but I don't think she understands the "sex" part of it.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:08 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My boys are too young to grasp the concept of gay/straight yet. But, when they ask I will tell them as much as I can (in an age appropriate manner) and encourage them to have understanding and tolerance for all people, regardless of sexual orientation.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:11 PM on May. 22, 2009

• This will probably sound sort of naive to some, but I feel that my kids are a little young for any sexual frame of reference. My oldest is 6 and I want him to stay young and unadulterated for hopefully at least another year before I start getting hard questions. When the time comes that he asks me questions, I will answer them frankly and let him decide for himself how he feels about it. Neither me nor my DH make references to homosexuals or transgender people, so I am sure that he will accept it as it is.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:11 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My kids know that sometimes boys like boys and sometimes girls like girls and they might get married and have kids or whatever. It's never been a big deal. And we don't even know anybody in real life that is gay. They have watched movies/tv with gay couples and they don't think anything of it. They are 8, 7, 6 and 3.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:12 PM on May. 22, 2009

• He sees our g/l friends & family together and our hetero friends & family together. Beyond that it doesn't really come up. The only line that's been drawn is that my cross-dressing friend is only "one person" around my son - as much for my friend's comfort as anyone else's.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Nothing as of now. Theyre only 18 months and 4 months.. However they will be raised to accept everyone for who they are and who they love.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My kids know that families come in all shapes, sizes, and configurations. DD grew up with her married uncles as a big part of her life and sees love as love.
    sherriet

Answer by sherriet at 5:20 PM on May. 22, 2009

• We have lesbian aunts. I haven't made a big deal about it. IMO she's not old enough for a "sex talk." so we will probably deal with it at the same time.
    My plan is to get a bunch of different stuff together and let her read and THEN discuss what she thinks and I believe. She will form her own opinion.

I don't want to brain wash my kids. I want them to learn to seek out information and find their beliefs.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:38 PM on May. 22, 2009