ugh omg....

ok so starting at 330 this morning my youngest (22 months) woke up screaming and crying in pain- now the other day i noticed he broke one of his back molars through so i am figuring that the reason why he is in pain- but the thing is, i gave him tylenol and a little oragel and nothing worked, he screamed and cried off and on all the way til 730 this morning, when finally he fell asleep. now just a minute ago i noticed that the skin and gums in the front top of his mouth are swollen and red and everytime i try to touch his lip to look at it he starts whining and saying ow and covering his mouth- does anyone know anything else i can do to make him comfortable so that we can all get some sleep tonight? i have gone through this with my 2 older boys but i dont remember it being this bad, and they always calmed down after me giving them the tylenol and oragel and a cold rag to chew on, any ideas?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 5:04 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think he needs to go see a dentist.
    Anonymous

• A lot of parents won't agree with me but rub whiskey on his gums, it's instant pain relief and it won't hurt him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:11 PM on May. 22, 2009

• as for going to the dentist the only one close enough to me that will see him doesnt have any openings until july and they wont consider this an emergency, believe me i tried that, and as for the whisky, my fiance wanted to try that too but we werent sure if we should, my mil freaked when he brought it up lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• take him to a damn dentist. poor baby. can you imagine how bad that must be hurting, especially if his nerve is exposed? please please call your dentist or take him to the emergency room. the swollen stuff means it is now infected...and that is excurciatingly painful.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I think he needs to see a dentist or your pedi. I know they swell when they have teeth coming in but it could be an infection or something else going on.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 5:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think the previous anon mistook the words "broke through" for "broke". I've never tried the whiskey remedy myself but I have some old family members who swear by it. I'd be willing to give it a try if nothing else was working. If it doesn't help his front gums and the swelling continues, make an appointment with your child's doctor and explain that you aren't able to get into the dentist. If the doctor thinks there's a serious problem developing he/she should be able to get you pushed through to the dentist a lot sooner than July.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My pediatrican said it was fine to give motrin along with tylenol. The motrin seems to help much, much more than tylenol, and works wonderfully for inflammed gums. Tylenol provides additonal pain relief, but does not touch inflammation. Call your pharmacy for the proper dosing. But yes, I would -also- be getting him to see his pediatric or a pediatric dentist just to rule out infection and other problems.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 6:31 PM on May. 22, 2009

• ok ladies- just got back from the er and everything is fine- he does have a touch of an allergic reaction- thank u all for ur help
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:31 PM on May. 22, 2009