Is it possible to get an accurate Due Date in your first trimester from a topical Ultrasound?

My Midwife has changed my Due date 4 times but refuses to give me a transvaginal Ultrasound. Friends of mine who have just had their babies say this is wrong and I need to change Doctors. Im still in my first trimester. It seems like im never going to be in my second with my declining due dates.

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 5:19 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• All due dates are estimates
    Anonymous

• you can get an accurate result from a regular US depending how far along you are. The transvaginal is for women who are under so may weeks. go to a reg ob for the first visit then switch to another midwife. I would not be comfortable with someone who refused my wishes, if she is doing it now, she'll do it the whole time and thats not ok.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:21 PM on May. 22, 2009

• If the baby can be seen with a regular u/s then a transvaginal is not necessary, but I would be concerned about changing due dates that often unless you're only talking about a day or two. With my first I had to have a dating u/s early on, and they gave me a due date at that time; they didn't change it at later u/s because earlier ones are actually more accurate when it comes to estimating gestational age. Earlier on the babies are easier to measure and also more likely to be the same size as a nother baby of the same gestational age. Later on babies vary a lot in size and estimates of size can be off by one or two pounds. If you midwaife is getting significantly different dates, then I would definitely want to see someone else for reassurance.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:35 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I would find a different midwife or ob/gyn. If its already changed 4times and your still in your first and it keeps goin backwards then somethings not right. Not sayin the baby but maybe with the midwife. She may not have enough experience using an u/s or know how to measure the baby to get an accurate due date. I would switch midwifes. Because the most important thing when it comes to being pregnant is having a health care provider that listens to you and your concerns!!!! After all it is your body and your baby.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 6:39 PM on May. 22, 2009