Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice !!!!!

I am 44 yrs old and have 4 kids, ages 22, 19, 16 & 4 (which the latter 3, live home). My 19 yr old son will be attending The Natonal Aviation Academy (NOT military related) in Clearwater Florida to get his A&P license in July . Problem is, I would like to relocate there with my kids except I don't want my boyfriend( of 1 year) to go with us. I would like to leave him. We are NOT married, different cultures and NOTHING in common at all. I'm unemployed and get child support for 1 of my kids only, so I don't have to much money and not to mention.... Horrible credit. I need to get out of this relationship and move with my kids and get a job once we move there. Second problem is, I have never been on my own and don't know how to do this move given my circumstances. If anyone can give me advice on how to do this or what I need to do, I would appreciate it very much and thank you. I'm willing to try anything.

Answer Question

Asked by suzie2058 at 5:34 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Is there a reason other than the fact that your son is going to school in Florida that you are going to relocate? i.e. more family, better job. If you are relocating for that reason, it really doesn't seem fair for the 16 and 4 year old to have to lose their friends, and the sixteen year old to have to go to another school. If you don't like the relationship you are in, just break up with him. Tell him that your lives aren't moving in the same direction, and you are not happy. Moving a family of three to Florida is going to be very expensive, have you checked the cost of living in Florida to where you live now?

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • A social services agency can help you move on with your life, but will not help you relocate. If you don't know how to find an agency in your area, contact a local house of worship, hospital, salvation army, etc.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:11 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • Can you first contact businesses in the area to see what the job market is right now. You should get out of that relationship asap!

    Answer by nanaevelyn at 8:48 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • 1- look online for a job BEFORE moving... as well as housing prices and a home...
    2- gather the finances needed to move.
    you'll need first months rent and security deposit to get an apartment. rent should be no more than 25 % of your weekly pay check (or 25 % of your monthly income)..
    try to get one that includes as many utilities as possible.
    3- get your kids to help pitch in (the ones over 18, should help contribute by helping with food, or rent.. even $10 a week can help with basics like milk and bread).

    you can do it.. but make sure you plan your move a head of time.. also include the cost of what you will need to move (moving vehicle, gas, etc).

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • if you can not financially make the move.. consider other areas that housing may be cheaper... also check with different states to see what kind of financial help you can get..

    oh and one final thing... if you move out of state, you will HAVE to contact the courts so they can notify the father(s) of your children of the move.. if you don't, in most states it can be viewed as kidnapping, and jail... so be sure to talk with the courts about that.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
is it time to leave?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
ewww TIM maybe