Hardware in my ankle-could it be doing this after almost 4 yrs?

I had a compound fracture of my right ankle almost 4 yrs ago. They had to put some screws and a bar-like plate in it to hold it all together. Now I'm finding that after a long walk with the dog, my foot swells up pretty bad. I've never had this problem before, and I do ALOT of walking. It has been raining here alot, is it maybe just arthritis setting in? Or do I maybe need to get the 'hardware' out? A friends husband had his taken out within a year of his injury. My doc told me at the time that it would probably stay in there forever. Anyone else have any experience with this type of thing? Thanks for any help!

wickedwebb4

Asked by wickedwebb4 at 5:36 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Health

• I'm not sure if it's the "hardware" that is causing the swelling, or if it's just the fact that the ankle has been injured in the past. I don't have any experience to relate to as far as having pins, etc. in any part of my body, but my daughter has one in her ankle. She hasn't had issues with it swelling, but it does ache when the weather changes. My other daughter had a knee operation, no hardware, and every now and then her knee will swell AND ache for no apparent reason. I would suggest that you get this checked out by your doctor, or another doctor if you feel you need a different opinion.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:05 PM on May. 22, 2009