Standing in the corner

Do you think making a child stand in the corner is an acceptable punishment? We employed this a handful of times when our daughter was younger, but then we stopped. She is now 12 going on 25. She at times has tamtrums that resemble that of a 2 year old, whines and tries to manipulate to get her way. Her dad told her when she starts acting like a baby, she will get treated like one, so today when she started with her bad attitude, he marched her butt to the corner and made her stand there for 15 minutes, she calmed down after that.

Have you used this on your kids? Any opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think its fine!!!! you have to find a way that works
    dianna1121

Answer by dianna1121 at 5:48 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Acceptable.
    Anonymous

• She needs the calm down time. But I personally think it's more demeaning than proper discipline. A discussion w/ cool of time would be better than making her keep her nose between 2 walls like my mom did. A 12 year old is emotionally past being in a corner. Give her alone time, take some for yourself, and TALK. That's the most important part.
    Anonymous

• We have used the sad chair and the sad corner, though sitting, not standing. We probably stopped timeouts at around 10. Now punishments are mostly lost priveleges; texting on her cellphone, TV, non-homeowrk computer time, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I don't think it works. My mom did that to me and it just made me more mad. I would calm down but I would stand there thinking of what I can do to get her back.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:01 PM on May. 22, 2009