In the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe...(no bashing please)

who is the boy? Juan Diego was a 50 year old convert. I always thought the child was the person she appeared to but now I know she appeared to a man not a child.
While many of you many not believe in the apparitions please do not bash or talk about this is not true. I really am curious who the boy. I don't want a debate. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is an angel:I did a few more google searches and found this.

Anonymous

• As I recall the story he was a layperson in the church who saw the image on a hill while heading home.
    Gosh its been years since I heard the story and saw the church he worked in and saw the picture itself(saw all of it while studying abroad in Mexico in college).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:45 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It is really great you saw the image. I would like to make it there once in my life. Here is the story, I am just wondering who the small boy in the image is. Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared in Mexico as the pregnant Mother of God to Saint Juan Diego, a Chicemeca Indian, on December 9, 10 and 12, 1531. She left a Miraculous Image of her appearance on his cactus fiber cloak, or "tilma", which still exists today for all to see in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City.

Anonymous

• Hummmmmm...

And to think...that the spot where she appeared was a sacred place of an Aztec Goddess...

...interesting...

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• huh? what'cha talkn bout?
    Anonymous

• yes she appeared to convert the Aztec over to Catholicism. But that is now what i am asking. It is all interesting, the fact the image is still there 400 years later the fact a bomb ruined stairs and a crucifix but not the image. It is all interesting. I am interested in knowing who the boy is.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Guadalupe is, strictly speaking, the name of a picture, but the name was extended to the church containing the picture and to the town that grew up around the church. It makes the shrine, it occasions the devotion, it illustrates Our Lady. It is taken as representing the Immaculate Conception, being the lone figure of a woman with the sun, moon, and star accompaniments of the great apocalyptic sign with a supporting angel under the crescent. The word is Spanish Arabic, but in Mexico it may represent certain Aztec sounds.

Its tradition is long-standing and constant, and in sources both oral and written, Indian and Spanish, the account is unwavering. The Blessed Virgin appeared on Saturday 9 December 1531 to a 55 year old neophyte named Juan Diego, who was hurrying down Tepeyac hill to hear Mass in Mexico City. She sent him to Bishop Zumárraga to have a temple built where she stood.
    Anonymous