Voudou

Often maligned and misunderstood, Vodou is actually a healing and life-affirming religion. This ancient religion, currently practiced by 50 million people, speaks directly to our troubled world today. I believe that to discover Vodou is to embark on an encounter with divine mystery....What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You could replace the word "voodoo" with "christian" and it would still apply. Christianity has lots of bloody imagery - including the concept of blood sacrifice, and "being washed in the blood of the Lamb" etc etc. And the evil intent could be read into Christianity by a nonbeliever just like it is being read into voodoo by nonbelievers. When people go on and on about how angry and jealous and childish the God of the Bible appears to be, or get hung up on the blood sacrifice aspect, on crucifixes being creepy, on the idea of the wine of communion literally becoming "the blood of Christ" and use these as reasons to dismiss and vilify your faith, do you not feel frustrated, wanting to say, "NO, you're missing the point, you're making it dark and ugly when it is something lovely!!" This is most likely exactly how practitioners of voodoo feel when nonbelievers go on and on about blood and voodoo dolls, and refuse to seek deeper.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:01 PM on May. 22, 2009

• If it's your path...than go for it!

It is a very interesting and misunderstood religion.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:51 PM on May. 22, 2009

• hmm interesting i have alot of friends that come from haiti and they may may disagree with you.this is only what ive heard.they are scared to death of it .they dont let any one touch there hair.or give them the evil eye.even if you talk about it they freak.this is only what ive heard i am a typical wasp and am open to anything.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 5:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I have been practicing voudou since March of this year. And I've had more wonderful gifts and experiences in just these few months, than I ever did in my 20 years as a Christian. It's truely wonderful. Seeing is believing and I have the proof!
    Anonymous

• interesting! do not know much about it, therefore cannot give an opinion. I am now intrigued though.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 6:08 PM on May. 22, 2009

• go to haiti and find out. people dont like it there. and ive been told back in the 90s in haiti VERY negative things started to happen there because of it. ive heard crazy stories people dont go out of there houses at night because of sprits and what people created from voudou. i wont mess with anyone that pactices it!!!
    em9x

Answer by em9x at 6:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Though I know little about the actual practices, I have worked with many Haitian people that have made comments about this religious practice. They were never specific, but they didn't really have to be either. My husband has worked with many Haitian men that really believe we are the "white devil". One Haitian teen I worked with would often tell me to not stare at him. Though I never thought anything of it, my blue eyes had a deep spiritual meaning to him. Since I knew what he may have been taught from birth, I used to give him a hard time and stare at him on purpose, at the same time letting him know how he felt and trying to make him feel at ease with me and anyone else he came in contact with. For most of the persons learned in this religion, they know nothing else and have to learn to accept other points of view. Personally, I believe nothing is impossible.TTFN
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 6:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Believe me, nothing bad comes from voodoo unless you want it too. Where in which you would ask the Lwa(the gods) to do the task for you. And the thing about the Lwa is, when they do something for you, whether it be money, love, revenge or whatnot....you actually SEE the changes made. you SEE them and it's obvious! It's so awesome!
    Anonymous

• you SEE the gods yes. but there like monsters!! my friend in haiti saw a man grow wings because of voudou and a man taller than a house all at night these things were from epople who sent them from voudou to get revenge on someone else
    em9x

Answer by em9x at 6:24 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I know that I had a lot of misconceptions about this until a year or so ago... I still don't know enough to go throwing around a half-baked opinion, but I was very interested in what I did read. The concept of Loa is fascinating!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:35 PM on May. 22, 2009