How do I tell my 15 month old not to play with himself?

He just discovered his *ahem* lil pee pee. Whats the right way to tell him not to play with it? I've tried asking if it hurts, or itches etc- I'm sure theres no other reason hes doing it than because he just found it.....
Help! This is one thing I cant figure out how to say it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 17 months old and does it. I never correct her either. I don't want my child afraid of her body. I also want her to know there is a time and a place for it, and that place is in private. Every women I have know with a little boy, has the same problem. Girlfriends of mine say they tell there sons, "If you are going to touch your penis, you need to go into your own room." He is just curious, and naturally he gets a sensation from touching it. Giving him clear boundaries about where he can do it will eliminate any unwanted peep shows in public. Also you want to call it a penis because that is what it is. This will help him later on if he has a urinary tract infection and the doctor needs to ask him where it hurts. I wish I were in your shoes. It seems so much easier to say penis than vagina! lol
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:53 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The answer is yes, he just found it. According to my husband, this is just something us Moms should get used to cuz they aren't gonna stop...I tell my son No when he plays with his peepee (or whatever you may call it) when I am changing him or whatever. He will eventually learn this practice has a time and a place like all guys before him.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 5:54 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Just casually distract him. You don't want to encourage shame in his gender by telling him it's wrong to play with his wee wee, and you don't necessarily want him to continue doing it...at least until he's older. Keep in mind though it is normal for children to discover themselves, and explore their own bodies.

If you see him doing it and don't want him to, just ask him to help you with something, or start a game or something that will distract him until he's forgotten about it..

Putting underwear or a diaper on him would help too :P
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:54 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Thanks ladies he doesnt do it in public- but when he carries on I just dont know what to say other than "no- its not a toy" then give him a toy toplay with instead. He mostly does it before, after and during bathtime- once in a while during a changing
    Anonymous

• He's just experimenting what he has down there i dont think its anything to get your panties up in a bunch about, tell him to go to his room if hes gonna play with himself no one wants to see that
    Anonymous

• My 19mth found his a few weeks ago. he only plays with it when i change his diaper. I have to give him a toy to play with while i change him otherwise he'll get himself dirty or i'm afraid he'll hurt himself.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 6:06 PM on May. 22, 2009

• why dont you want him to play with it? its a new 'toy' and feels different to any other part of his body. it has always been covered with a diaper, so its a new and exciting body part. (remember when he found his nostril?) and you telling him not to play with it will just increase his curiosity.
    let him play with it (i wouldnt in public though, you never know if there is weirdos around) and he will get over it much sooner than if you are always telling him to leave it alone.
    Anonymous

• Why would you want to stop him? It's normal and he'll stop soon enough.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:08 PM on May. 22, 2009

• This is normal development for him. Don't tell him it's wrong or dirty, or try to make him stop. That's going to make him play with it more just to get your attention. Just let him know there is a time to do that (like in the tub or bathroom) and a time not to do that (like in church or at the dinner table).
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 10:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I would not tell him no cause your going to make him think hes doing something wrong. If you guys are out in public you just tell him that we dont do that while were out. Kids will learn what they can and cant do out in public as long as your teaching them. But I would not make it a big deal about it and just tell him what it is so that he learns. Lately my 29 month old baby has been wanting his diaper off and I think he has to scratch but instead he just plays with it and laughs about it. I just tell him hes silly and then after a minute I put his diaper back on. There just boys
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 23, 2009