how do you think my daughter who will be 18 months when the new baby is due will react... anybody with close kids?

Asked by hottmama7107 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well im 19 and Jp is about to be 17 in september. were actually more close because were closer in age. i dont ever really remember resenting him.. but it all depends if you have another girl or boy. girls might fight more over clothes and stuff like that but i think the closeness in age will help. make her a big part of everything though, like make her feel important like shes helping you take care of the younger one so she gets attension too. i dont think you keeping this one will affect danica at all. shes not a spoiled brat or anything.

Answer by SammyDibe at 5:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my girls are almost 25 months apart, and I was scared to death when I brought the baby home. My oldest daughter didn't know how to handle it really, she knew I had a baby in my tummy and then she knew it was home now... LOL.. luckily I had my Sister In Law and my brother here - that had kids close in age and they helped us through that... we just would let my oldest be right there beside me when I breastfed, changed diaper, got dressed, whatever I was doing we let the other one there to observe.. it all worked out, they are 4 (today) and almost 2 and they are doing just fine and love eachother very much.. You will be fine.. just ask people who have done it before and take all the information you can down and use what is pertinent to your family... ((HUGS))

Answer by BreakingFree at 7:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My boys are 2 years apart and they are best buddes. My oldest son NEVER showed one minute of jealousy. We took him shopping a few weeks before his little brother was born to pick out a present for him and let him give it to him when we brought him home from the hospital. We also let him help us with the baby, bringing me diapers, washing his little brothers feet when we gave him a bath, things like that.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my kids are 15 months apart. Jack is 2 and sammy is ready to turn one next month..sammy LOVES Jack, but jack for the longest time pretended sammy didnt even exist. now it is a little better...a few times a day they will play peek-a-boo and they will play side-by-side ok..until sammy tries to take jacks things and than jack whines like crazy until we rescue him or sammy gives up and finds somoething else to do. good luck..all kids are different, my kids are complete opposites, but others are best friends from the get go!

Answer by froghopper at 9:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My first two were 20 months apart. IT was GREAT. My oldest was such a good boy to the baby...then my next two were 2 1/2 years apart and that was not good...the middle child was extremly jealous of the baby.

I would just make sure you prepare your youngest. I bought a big brother book (they sell it in a sister version) and we read that. I had my oldest pick out somethign for the baby and we also bought something for the new "big Brother"...perhaps at the hospital let her pick out a balloon or something. Make it a special thing for her!! Good luck and congrats.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My kids will be 2 years apart when my baby comes & I'm scared about that too. The only thing I can say from watching other people with 2 kids is to make sure you give LOTS and LOTS of attention to your oldest child. The oldest will be very curious about the new baby, but will still want all the attention she used to get. It's going to be hard & everyone's going to be cooing over the baby, but don't forget how jealous older siblings can get. When the baby gets to be about 6-8 months old, they'll probably start to be "friends" and life will get a lot easier. :)

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2008