starting solids and breastfeeding

this question is for the BF moms. I am wondering if any of you moms know/think that exclusively BF until the age of one is ideal. i am just looking into this. and still have alot of research to do. just wanted some input!! thanks.

mom2sweetestboy

Asked by mom2sweetestboy at 6:22 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding moms define "exclusive breastfeeding for one year" differently. For me, it meant that the only liquid that entered my daughter during her first year was my breast milk; she did eat solid food. For other moms, it means only breastfeeding and no solid foods.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:36 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Way to be offensive anon. Clearly, I am going to take your advice since you have no shown how ugly you are.

OP there is no evidence that states that exclusive breastfeeding until age one is ideal. There is evidence that it is all they "need." However, most babies are ready for solids earlier, and most enjoy them earlier. Some readiness signs include sitting up on their own (not in a bumbo, but unassisted), losing the gag reflex, and being able to put food hand to mouth. Every baby is different. I would say that exclusively nursing until six months might be ideal, but after that, you can try to give some mashed banana, sweet potato bits, or something and see how your child does. If they spit it out, or gag and can't swallow, then they aren't quite ready. No harm done. Put it away for a week or so, then try again.

apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:08 PM on May. 22, 2009

• And anon's answer has been deleted. So now I look stupid! lol
    apexmommy

• yeah apex mommy I was about to say LOL.
    my "goal" was to nurse my son for a year. he self-weaned 3 days after his first bday! I would have gone longer if he wanted. I introduced him to solids around 6 m/o, but only started at 1 tblspn a day, to get him exposed to the textures and tastes and test for allergies. unfortunately I also had to supplement him around 7 m/o because he wasnt gaining enough wait from my BM alone. he was still nursed, but got a bottle afterwards. breastmilk for the first year is very ideal! the baby gets the mothers antibodies, lowering chances of getting sick, ear infections, etc. and breastmilk has all the nutrients they need for the first year. ever notice formula says " with dha found in breastmilk" ? and breastmilk is free too!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:43 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Babes do not need anything other then breastmilk for about the first 12 months. Before that food is only for practice not nutrition. My children did not show interest in solid food until about 10 months old for both and we went right to table food cut up for them and skipped purees all together. I made sure I nursed before they ate and then would give them a few bites of table food.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• To maximize iron absorption and avoid anemia it is recommended that they get nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months. The introduction of anything sooner than that can interfere with the absorption of iron.

An excerpt form THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003.

" One study of breastfed babies not given iron supplements or iron fortified cereal found that those babies who were exclusively breastfed for seven months or longer has significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one and two years than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. Although some of the breastfed babies who received solids before seven months were found to be anemic by their first birthday, the researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year among babies breastfed exclusively for seven months."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:42 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well yea, exclusive breastfeeding is nothing but breastmilk.

I definitely do think it is ideal. I think that any solids given should not be given before 6 months minimum and should be in verrrry limited amounts. :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:10 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I believe in NOTHING but breastmilk til 6 months then gradually slowly starting solids after that as mom see fit, if she wants to wait til 12 months as long as iron levels are good then that is fine. the max solid at 12 months should be 25%, and if still BFing only 50% at 18 months.

I don't believe in ANY formula use for my children, so I consider my son EBF even though he had solids before 12 months.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:14 PM on May. 22, 2009