Anyone use unit studies in their homeschooling?

Tell me all about it! Do you work everything into the unit, or do some subjects separately? How long do you spend in one unit - a week, a month, longer? Do you create your own, use a pre-planned one, or a little of both?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 6:30 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I havee and really loved ti. usually it is related to a book so you read a chapter then all the work for the day in some way relates to the chapter. usually you have to do math separately. there are really good ones for the little house on the prarie books and the chronicles of narnia. you can also do partial unit studies like the ones from beautiful feet. they teach geography and history and social studies all together.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Check out the homeschooling groups.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

• There is an awesome group here called 'units and themes' ...everyone is most helpful!

I use some units and other days we use workbooks or the internet for studies. We are very flexible. Most days...I try to structure the lessons according to my son's interests.

It has been a wonderful experience. I am truly glad that I started homeschooling!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:01 PM on May. 22, 2009

• We're a homeschooling family, have been since birth :-) We're unschoolers but we keep running into these accidental themes that keep cropping up over and over and I'd be interested in playing around with some relaxed unit studies ideas. I will check out that group.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:22 PM on May. 22, 2009