What did you THINK you knew about parenting/kids but were proved wrong?

I thought babies slept a lot. I guess some actually do. Mine never did.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 6:42 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I 2nd mommypip. I used to think that typical baby/child behavior was misbehavior. Babies who cried to be carried were manipulative and spoiled and kids were just bratty to be brats. I'm glad I've learned more about human basics and psychology since then.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:53 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Before I had kids....I thought that I knew everything. LOL I read the books...all of them. I babysat... I taught sunday school. All of the kids...loved me!

When i had kids of my own....I realized....that I knew nothing. LOL Being a mother...is the only way to earn a PhD in the insanity and fun world of kids and child rearing. It has blown my mind! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:47 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Ohhhh Me too CooCoo. I'd been a nanny and a camp counciller. I thought I had it all.

I tell my friends, 'Being a mom is all about learning how your mother was right and you were wrong about almost everything'.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:49 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I thought I had a pretty good grasp on how to handle babies. I have four nieces afterall and my sisters made it look oh so easy. WRONG! I know it sounds stupid, but 24/7!! Sheesh! My son is only 3 months old and he's my first and to be honest.....everything I "knew" doesn't amount to squat right now lol. WAY more difficult then I thought.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:49 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Tabatham- I love your little quote!
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:52 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I thought that if I treated my children with respect and showed them how to behave by setting a good example that they would be less subject to peer pressure and that they'd treat us with respect. They do now while in adulthood, but as teens ... it didn't happen.

Answer by Bmat at 7:01 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I foolishly thought that moms stuck together and tried their best to encourage one another. Judging by what I've seen on this website and a couple of other parenting site, I was wrong! Moms can be some of the most judgemental people on the face of the earth!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I learned that the way my own mother parented was WRONG and I have tried everyday to NOT be like her. What you say to a child is more harmful than the physical things you can do. Spanking is not an effective form of discipline. And the biggest, NOT to care what anyone else thinks about how I raised my son, especially some people on this very site.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 AM on May. 23, 2009