Will she remember?

Hubby leaves in 2 and a half weeks for basic training, we won't see him again until mid September. What scares me most is how my 18 month old daughter will react. In the time that he is gone there is going to be a new baby in the house and we will be going to stay with my mom for a couple months in West Virginia, so a lot of new things will be going on for her. I'm so afraid that she won't remember him, I don't know how well an 18 month old's memory is. Does anyone else have a similar experience? Do you know if she will, for certain, remember?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 6:49 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I remembered my dad when he came home from Vietnam. I was not quite 2 when he left and he was gone for nearly a year.
    But to help her memory:
    If you (or someone you know) has a video camera, have him tape himself reading some of her favorite books before he goes. Then she can see him and hear him during special "storytime with daddy" nights.
    Have a picture of him near her bed and start a bedtime ritual of saying good night to daddy.

And remember that when he comes home, she will need to adjust. She will be used to "picture daddy" and "storytime daddy" - a real life, walking, talking Daddy who also says "NO" when she's naughty will take getting used to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:49 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes she will
    Anonymous

• Your daughter will NEVER EVER forget who he is!!!! she might be a little confused, but you have to remember when she is 20 years old, its not gonna matter.. when i was about 2, we lived in norfolk VA cus my dad was in the navy, and i remembered him.. just do your best to keep her busy with other fun things!!! and yourself to!! :) It will be a good bonding time for you and her!
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 7:55 PM on May. 22, 2009

• If she does, it's because you didn't talk about him show her pictures of him, show her videos of him and just basically forgot about him yourself. There is no reason why she should forget him.
    Anonymous

• Keep a pic of Daddy in her room and have her talk to his pic and tell about her day. Then when you write to him, make sure you mention those same things so when he comes back he can keep up with her. Get a small voice recorder so he can make tapes for her. Use Instant messaging and get a webcam. Have him send pics with his emails so she can see him. Don't downplay how long he'll be gone, but give her small things to look forward to, like putting up a calendar and marking off the days till he comes back. And relax, she's going to have some adjustment time both when he leaves and when he comes back, but it will be okay if you help her.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 10:27 PM on May. 22, 2009