I am breastfeeding and don't plan on starting solids until closer to my son's first birthday but my husband wants him to eat birthday cake.

Can I make a special cake that isn't full of sugar? I don't want one of my son's first foods to be cake. Did your one year old eat cake on his birthday??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No matter what you feed baby on his first and even second birthday it isn't going to be a set food in life unless that food from then on is fed nearly every day and several times a day. Baby at one and two years old is more interested in the sounds and emotional excitement than any thing else. If you don't want baby to eat a 'regular' cake you are a good mommy. If baby has a 'regular' cake you will not be destroying your baby's teeth or health in any way. This is your baby, your party. You serve what YOU feel comfortable serving not what you think socially you must. Take this from a mom who twenty three years ago had her first child have a cavity at three years old and thought her child's life was destroyed and worried child shouldn't be with her, that mom was me.
    I ran out right after the dentist. bought plain yogurt added natural fruit and after a while realized attention more to brushing and rinsing was just as good!!
    Anonymous

• Good lord just let him eat cake. it's his first birthday and having sugar once a year is not going ot kill him
    Anonymous

• OP here.

I am just worried that if I give him cake and all that sugar he won't like other foods that are healthier. He'll think that birthday cake is what he can have all the time and will refuse to eat vegetables and such. or am I just being a b*tch?
    Anonymous

• My youngest one did not eat cake for her birthday. I see first birthdays as more for the parents than the child. We had some small snacks, and she opened a few packages. No need to sugar kids up so young. I regret doing it with my first 2.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• No, I didn't let my kids have sugar on their birthday. I know "everyone" does it and "everyone" is just fine, but the day is overwhelming enough for a one year old. To add in a sugar high is setting them up for a bad day. It's not fair to them. We made an apple sauce cake. It didn't have a ton of added sugar, and my daughter didn't have a horrible traumatic day. I don't think she'll fire at me, when she's 18, "I hate you because you didn't feed me cake on my first birthday." Not having a sugar filled crap fest isn't going to kill him either.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• are you serious? just let the poor child have his cake.
    Anonymous

• OP, in response to your second post, treats are okay. A once in a while treat is fine. Cake isn't really ideal for a baby just starting solids. Mine was the same way, and she didn't even touch it. Nor did she touch the chocolate cake that one of my friends insisted on giving her when she was 13 months old. Once your baby is doing well with solids, don't worry about occasional treats.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:04 PM on May. 22, 2009

• You're being overboard. He will eat food after he eats his cake. In a week he's not going ot remember his cake anyway. Just let him have his fun. You had cake on your 1st bday I'm sure.
    Anonymous

• My son has been on solids since 6 months but only fruits, veggies, and cereal so far and I was still a little against the idea of my son eating cake on his first birthday (he has 3 more months to go!) but my husband thinks we should let him celebrate and I guess I don't want to be a party pooper so he's gonna get a very very very very SMALL piece and I'll let him go at it. But I like your idea about a healthier cake! There's a new TV show on the Food Network now called "Cook Yourself Thin" and it shows how to take fatty foods and make them healthy using fruits and veggies in place of other regular ingredients. They just did a chocolate cake on yesterday's show....I think I might have to find that recipe!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:05 PM on May. 22, 2009

• i started my son on solids around 6 m/o but they were all homemade by me! I never gave him sugary foods. the first sugary food he ever had was a small smash-cake for his birthday. it's just a small slurge, it wont hurt him and it's just for that special occasion! you can always make a carrot cake, or make an organic cake. i'm sure you can replace half the sugar with something else...maybe applesauce? check out recipes online or join the homamade baby food group on cafemom and i'm sure they have plenty of ideas! they are very pro-waiting and pro-healthnuts =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:06 PM on May. 22, 2009