What happens during a scheduled C-Section?

My first daughter was born via an emergency c-section. My 2nd baby will be born via a scheduled c-section. I'm still 6 months away before it actually happens, but I am wondering what the procedure is. What did you all go through during a scheduled c-section. Did you have to do anything special in preparation for it? Did you still get contractions? Just curious. I'll be asking my Dr. these questions at my next visit next month but I am interested in hearing beforehand from other mommy's who've already gone through what I am going to go through. I'm not nervous, just curious. Thanks for the info ladies. :)

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 7:04 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• U may not get contractions if they do the section before baby is ready tp come out. U go in an hour or two before ur time get an epidural and about an hour after they start u have ur baby! I loved having a c section.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:11 PM on May. 22, 2009

• you check in cou;e of hours before you go to c section, they prep you, give you something to make you "comfortable" and they take the baby. Pretty much like you had last time just more slow paced. Good luck. Nice thing.....you already know what the pain will be like afterwards.
    prdusmcmom

Answer by prdusmcmom at 7:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Hi. I had a first labor that ended up emergency csection and then two more sectons after that for my second and third babies. Scheduled sections are more calm in preparation and in delivery but certainly not slow at all. U'll meet with, very probably before that date, an anesthesiologist for a chat. And again that day he she will chat with u for more questions u might have. U'll get an iv for fast pain meds after the section and be hooked up afterwards most likely to a pump to self pain medicate a certain amount over a certain amount of time. If yr sleep w/a general for the scheduled section the anesthesiologist will discuss again w/u. U might get a tube down yr throat after you are asleep but u will be asleep and would not feel that at all. U would be very sleepy and zoned out when u wake up. Epidurals and spinals are other choice leaning ovr or down. Sum pain w/epi or spinal but ok. Sum pain after surgery.ENJOY Baby!
    Anonymous

• I went in a few hours before hand to make sure that I had plenty of fluids after not having anything to eat or drink for 24 hours. (it kept getting pushed back) went in about 3 hours before hand, did all the paperwork and got iv and all that good stuff, i walked this time to the or that was weird my first was a emergency section so totally different. I climbed onto the table myself and they did the spinal and then it was time it took all of 17 min from walking in to my DS being born. I was back in my room by 745 pm and nursing him by 820. Waited for all the family to leave and for my 2 year old to meet her brother and see her mommy. It was much easier the 2nd time and recovery much easier it has been 3 weeks since I came home and I feel great. Good Luck
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 7:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• they will prep you by shaving your belly. they will numb you from the waist down and you will not be able to move your legs but this is normal and will go away. and this will hurt. after the baby is delivered, you will be rolled into recovery for about an 1 hour or so. be prepared for your body to shake and feel very cold. this will also go away and they'll cover you with nice warm blankets. don't eat any thing the night before surgery, or depending on the time of surgery. your doctor will explain this. after all of this the next day or so you will be told to walk a little. it will be discomforting but you can do it. they will take the staples out and believe me it sounds worse than it is. it doesn't hurt at all. ask your doctor everything you want to know. it never hurts to right down things you want to ask or that he tells you. you will do just fine. congrats on your baby. and remember take it easy.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 7:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I had a scheduled section 5 years ago with my first and I'm having a scheduled section in 10 weeks for my second pregnancy. How mine worked I went into the hospital at 7am, checked in and then up to labor and delivery where they put hooked me up to an iv for an hour and a half to pump me with fluids. At 9am me and my husband walked into the operating room where they put in my spinal block (I was completely numb from my armpits down) this took maybe 10 min to completely take effect and then they started. Jasmine was here at 9:59am. It was super easy and since I had a full spinal I didn't have any pain at all until almost 8pm that night and that just felt like sore muscles. I'm guessing my second section will go the same way. Good luck.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 8:08 PM on May. 22, 2009