At what age did you start to view/treat your kids as adults?

just wondering.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 7:10 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do we ever really fully treat our kids like adults? lol I'm 27 and my mom still sends me lists of things she thinks I needs to do. Or, she'll call me and ask me "did you call your uncle and tell him thank you for the birthday gift?" But, if it comes to something she doesn't WANT to do then it's "you're an adult" lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• One son was 20 and the other was 21 when they turned into adults. They no longer treated their dad and me as adversaries.

Answer by Bmat at 7:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I hope I live to see the day! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:23 PM on May. 22, 2009

• momma thats why i was asking for comparison. i will be 25 this year. lol i am rowing in the same boat.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 7:24 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I can't answer that for myself and my boys yet since the oldest is only 5. (he'd like me to treat him older LOL)

My mom never did treat me like an adult. That's one of the big reasons why we never got along. She died in a car accident in 2003 (no seat belt) and I don't miss her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:48 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My son is almost 13 and I have been treating him like an adult for a couple of years now. He is very intelligent and independent so it has been easy to just talk to and reason with him when he does something wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 AM on May. 23, 2009