My son is over two months old and HATES tummy time.

He is good at holding his head up. He just fusses until he screams. I'll put him on his tummy several times a day until he gets upset. What can I do to help him like it better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of a baby that actually LIKES tummy time. But tummy time isn't to just build up head control. That's just the very beginning. Tummy time builds up chest, tummy, and back muscles, as welll as the ones in his arms. All of which are needed for rolling over, sitting up, crawling, and walking. Will he do these things without tummy time? Yes. But it may be delayed.

Keep putting him on his tummy until he gets upset. Occasionally get down on the floor with him. Lay on your tummy facing him and play with something to keep his attention.
    Once he has better trunck control, you can put him in an exersaucer or jumperoo. Both of those will help him keep building those same muscle groups but are more entertaining for babies than staring at the carpet right under their noses.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:42 PM on May. 22, 2009

• put something he likes infront of him and see if that helps... Babys like an objective to what they are doing.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Babies. sorry.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:33 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I did not do 'tummy time' with either of my sons...they both fussed. We had one of those pads toys above and I even used a boppy to prop them up on. They still fussed. They loved their swing, their bouncer and being held.

Baby knows best....if the baby fusses...just try another postition. happy babies, make happy mommies. :)
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:34 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My son HATED tummy time. He is 19 months right now and still does not sleep on his tummy. You just have to follow your baby's queues as they know what they like, even at 2 months. It took some time for him to start crawling but he eventually got there.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 7:36 PM on May. 22, 2009

• this is why I started tummy time at a week old...get ont he floor with him, put a mirror in front of him, toys, make sure he is on a bright blanket and has not just been fed. With a full tummy it can hurt a lil bit maybe. Also I lay on my side and face my son on his side and he likes that. my son is 6 wks monday and doc said 5-10 mins a few times a day is fine and also holding baby facing you(chest to chest) does count as tummy time. as long as he can lift and turn his head, it counts. keep trying and soon he will like it better, dont give up. ;o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:42 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My son is 10 weeks old and he hates tummy time, it frustrates him. And it does not help him if I put toys or a mirror down. I talked to my doctor and he said to try it, but dont make him lay there if he is upset. I have tried laying on my back and laying him on my tummy. He will do that for a little while.
    Zachsmom7

Answer by Zachsmom7 at 7:53 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I have never pushed tummy time and don't plan to. That has never caused a developmental probelm in my kids(I'm on baby number 6). They all sat up on time and walked around 10 months. I don't see why it's needed honestly. Babies will get those skills either way and as they get older they will learn to like being on their tummmies on their own.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:58 PM on May. 22, 2009

• muh DD didnt like tummy time either. the stupid dr kept tellin me to do it no matter what, n if she starts screamin, to pick her up : /
    but i finally told the dr to shove it n i stopped for a couple wks (she was holding her head up fine at THREE WEEKS, so i knew she was fine in that dept.)
    after two wks, i tried it again n she was a lil fussy, but much better.
    she started to love tummy time. so i think it juss goes with whatever the BBY wants to do.
    we may be the parents, but the bby's the boss. theyll let u know when theyre ready. give it time. time is the answer to everything : P
    momma323

Answer by momma323 at 9:05 PM on May. 22, 2009