Katrina Victims Face Eviction From Federal Housing

OMG seriously??!! This happened 4 years ago! Why are they still in this housing? Do you think this is ok? Or that they should have been evicted years ago?

I live on the gulf coast, and if you don't know, new orleans is a fish bowl. It is below sea level. This WILL happen again. As far as I am concerned it's a risk you take when you choose to live here. Like the earthquakes in Cali and the tornandoes in the mid west. Should the gov't help in crisis? Yes. But FOUR YEARS of FREE housing!!!!!!!!

what say you?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/22/katrina-victims-face-eviction-federal-housing/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anon. I think as an adult you have to make some grown up decisions. That means doing things you may not WANT to do, but things you HAVE to do. Be an adult, get an apartment in another state that you can afford and start over. People who may not have had their homes destroyed in Katrina, but in some other disaster, have found a way to do it and so should these people. Get an apartment and start over. Shit happens, and when it does you must try to make the best of it. Such is life.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I agree. That was 4 years ago and they should be able to move forward by now
    Anonymous

• What say I:

I think that soemone who posts a question should not be allowed to do so anon. It is disgraceful to post anon in reply...what does it say to be the OP Anon?!

--MY interpretion, not worth my time. Post again (non anon) and I will be glad to discuss this with you.
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 8:22 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Four years of free housing? Holy cow. It just dosn't seem right. Its good that people helped rebuild,etc. but why shouldn't they pay their own mortage payments or rent?
    Anonymous

• The reason why they are still in housing is because neither the State nor the Federal Government has provided the necessary funds needed for people to rebuild. FEMA only provided funding for emergency services and housing and financial aid to those who owned homes and qualified. A lot of people didn't have insurance. A lot of people were renters and the owners did not fix or replace the homes so those living there had no place to go. FEMA doesn't give help to renters to repair homes, only the owners. In many areas down there, things are still a mess even after four years. I think the Government is pretty much sitting and waiting for the next big hurricane to come along in order to move a large amount of the population out the area permanently, leaving only the main tourist area around New Orleans and necessary housing and services for enough people who are employed there.
    Anonymous

• What about insurance? Don't people have homeowners? Why does the Federal Government need to keep bailing people out? If our roof blows off in a storm, I expect MY insurance to pay for it. I don't expect ANYTHING from the government.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:30 PM on May. 22, 2009

• about time then thet shouldtake care of themselves
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

• What say I:

This must have been worth your time if you responded, duh. I agree OP.
    Anonymous

• LOL malin....I post anon b/c usually if you have the audacity to say something against Katrina victims you are considered racist (even tho I was one, just not in the gimme city of NO). I didn't want to have to deal with stupid people.

As for anon :23...I own a home and pay a great deal every year for ins.  a home is a HUGE investment and not easily  replaced...that's why they have this ins.  In my loan we were required to sign a paper saying we would carry ins for the life of our loan.  If they couldn't afford the house and all it's included costs they shouldn't have purchased it.  That's why our country is in the mess that its in. 

Anonymous

• seriously...what about homeowners/renters/auto insurance? Did these people not have that?? especially living below sea level? my elders live in Florida, they've sustained MANY hurricanes. They pay EXTRA for windstorm because of the risk of living there. Normal homeowners insurance covers basics (in that area - thanks to Hurricane Andrew and all the scams that happened). They buy BOTH EVERY YEAR. I just don't understand the problem here.

Speaking of scams - next time something like this happens, aid is going to be WORSE. When people take advantage of programs, they tighten up for the next time. Just like Hurricane Andrew. Because of the con-artists getting brand new homes from insurance, when actually they had little damage, NOW insurance rates are up and premiums down.
    Anonymous