• In the Spotlight:

feeling like a HUGE pile of *$#* at 21 weeks

Hey ladies,I was just wondering if any of you other mommies or mommies-to-be have experienced similar symptoms. First of all, I'm 5'5" and have always been at a healthy, average weight. For the last two weeks, I've been retaining water and gaining weight drastically. I called my doctor today and they made me come in right away. In the last two days I've gained 8 pounds, w/ 20lbs total pregnancy. The doctor thinks it's all water weight and they're making me come in every week to monitor it. My face was even all swollen and puffy this morning. Also, my blood pressure was kinda high when it's always been normal. Do these sound like symptoms of preeclampsia? Has anyone else retained water drastically even while eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated? I simply don't know what to do differently, and I'm scared to keep gaining. I don't wanna end up at 1000 pounds before I have this baby, lol,even if it is mostly water weight.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:46 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it could very well be just water weight! when I was pregnant w/ my dd (she's 6 now) my diabetes test was normal as well as my blood pressure, but by time is was 5 to 5.5 mths along i was hugely swollen (legs, both arms and hands but one more so than the other) i was big, mostly due to water. but all was fine and normal with my pregnancy (well as much as could be- i was and will be high risk again due to multiple miscarriages). so honestly if the doctor isn't worried, try not to either!! GL!
    defiantpromises

Answer by defiantpromises at 9:07 PM on May. 22, 2009

• well i dont know from experience but this sounds like either preaclampcia but it could also may be gestational diabetes i would check with the dr. but if they are not concerned then you not worry yourself but i would just drink A LOT of water and try to keep it low on all the salt and put your feet up as much as you can to help with the swelling but if you are Very uncomfortable then i defiantly call the dr. i dont think you should gain that much from swelling but just have the dr. to talk to you about everything and what is normal good luck i hope this helps
    Anonymous

• Thanks, ladies! I feel a bit better now. Yea, the doctor didn't seem too worried, but she's having me come back in a week to see if it's going at the same rate. Until then, I'm heavily cutting back on salt, drinking lots of water, and excercising mildly. Hopefully that will help. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:12 PM on May. 22, 2009