Hey the gov just reduced my food stamps to $20..

..while i am a single mother making minimum wage and i see other families with 2 working parents that get 500 a month...do you think they made some sort of mistake??? after i calculated my bills i have about 100 dollars left to myself which needs to go to diapers, gas, and food!! how do they think this is possible??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Do you have a Food Pantry in your area? This is a place usually sponsered by a church or other charitable organization that gives free food (donated by local supermarkets) to people with limited incomes.

The bread and baked goods are usually a few days old, but not expired. The canned goods are often over-stock or discountued. But all are good and free.

I am on social security and have just applied for disability. My local food pantry helps me make it through the month.

Hope this helps.
    darcooks

Answer by darcooks at 6:34 AM on May. 23, 2009

• they take how much you make and how much you pay in rent and utilites into acount. if your main bills are less then say a family that both parents work then your amout of foodstamps will be less. it also depends on how many are in the household as well.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:52 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Your bills don't matter. You're working, you can buy food.
    Anonymous

• uh my bills DO matter if i want a roof over my daughters head.
    Anonymous

• Actually, bills DO matter when applying for food stamps.

Working does not automatically mean making what you need to get by.

DF is working, and we are on FS. He doesn't make enough to pay all of our bills, let alone buy food and non-food essentials, and try getting someone to hire a pregnant woman after she has been out of the work force for several months? (Lost job, then high risk and not able to work anyway).

I guess that means that if someone is working two days a week, they can buy food. They ARE working, after all. And nope, bills don't matter at all. Tell that to our landlords or the electric company.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:58 PM on May. 22, 2009

• OP:

It may be a glitch in the system, especially considering the fact that everyone's foodstamps were RAISED as much as 20 dollars per person listed, recently. Give the office a call, and see what they say.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:59 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Although, my mother once had her cash assistance lowered to 2 bucks a month when I was a kid, and she was on disability and not able to work, and raising me by herself. So who knows what goes through the heads of the gov't.

That's why I think the gov't shouldn't handle any kind of assistance for needy families. Be a lot better for everyone if it was left to private charities, churches, individuals, funds, etc. :(
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I'd contact your caseworker, it seems that it would be an error on their part. Seems strange that a person in your situation would only get $20. I'm on FS (for me and 1 of my sons and get $367/month.) You should def get more!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The ONLY bills that are counted are rent and heat, nothing else. If you have questions about what you are recieving, you should be talking to your caseworker. The amount you recieve is based on the number of people in your family, how much you make (before taxes), how much child support you recieve, rent and heat. My foodstamps just went down $100 because I am working and make a whopping $800 a month and that includes child support. I have no idea who makes the guidelines but they do need to be changed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Actually Rent, gas, electric and water are what is counted.

The ONLY bills that are counted are rent and heat, nothing else
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:40 PM on May. 23, 2009