Quitting Cigarettes

Ok those of you who have kicked the habit who weren't pregnant (because I don't have that going on right now to encourage me)--

1. Did you set a date ahead of time when you thought it would be the least stressful
2. Can I do it without nicotene supplements (I don't have the $)
3. Any tips?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 8:48 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when any person decides to quit it's what isnt' stressful. Quitting is NOT stressful. Your mind is convinced it is. Would you rather get a scheduele and make it a chore, or just have the quit time be like the way you get up, "ok, I am not having a cig. in a.m. at waking ....... you don't need a reason to wake to a smoke. In real life, you only live one time, in this body, to live quality it must be a do or die thought. Getting up and having a plan to say this is the day the Lord has made.... and be joyful in it. . . . picture what joy looks like, ....... dream it, dwell in it, .... take a spa bath at home in it, read a how to live in a pure; lively; non-damaging; nonstressed; non-whatever way of life. To cancel the bad stuff is easy. To keep the damage is the hard part. Just dwell on what's good and eventually it will cancel every destructive thought and (habit {s} ) . We are not junk: We're God's temple.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:57 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Before I say I quit completely, I admit I still smoke when I drink, however, that's been 2 times in the last 2 years.

So, I first tried going on Wellbutrin. It didn't work. So a few months later, I decided this Tuesday I'm going to quit. And I did. I wouldn't set a date around the least stressful times because you never know when a stressful time will come, and then you might start back up because of that excuse.

The first week is actually easier than the 2nd and 3rd weeks. It's tough. But it can be done! Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• I set a date at first.I called the hotline to help you quit.They sent me patches and they called and checked on me weekly.None of that helped.I still couldn't quit.But when I finally made my mind up to quit,I did.All I did was tell myself that I wasn't going to do it anymore.It is a hard task.But if you stay strong,you WILL do it.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 8:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Nikkj86 answered the same way. There you have it.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:00 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I got really sick, kidney stones and a bladder infection. It was horrible and I didn't feel like smoking. I figured if I could go without it then I could quit. That was last October and I haven't smoked since. I just quit cold turkey. IMO it's better to do it that way because then you don't have the nicotine(sp?) in your system and then just crave more.. Once it's out it's the habit that has to be broken. Like I said JMO. It's mind over matter.. GL!!! Oh and my Husband also quit because he felt if I could do it so could he, I'm so proud of him!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:00 PM on May. 22, 2009

• When I quit smoking for like 4 yrs I did it by keeping me bussy doing this may help you too is all a routine and habit you normally smoke at certain time; sometimes when you wake up, or after dinner, or before going to bed, etc. so you just have to keep distracted to not think on smoking if you think in talking is not going to help to much what about doing some projects around the house like spring cleaning, some cookie to bake or you can think in a lot of things. Hope this help you and good luck don't give up!!
    Anonymous

• Im stuck at home all day and my husband is the only one with the bank card so i cant get them unless he gives me the card or if he would pick some up a few days ago he told me he wasnt going to buy anymore so its been 4 days for me without one. Its hard but worth it =) I was mad at him for it because he dicided i was going to quit for me but its a good thing. Also the first 3 days are the hardest. It takes 3 days for the nicotine to leave your system. After the first 3 days you should be fine just find something to keep your mind off of it. Good luck and hope it goes well for you!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:05 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Wow. Thanks yall... Keep em coming!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:12 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Less talkie, more action.
    Anonymous

• Well I smoked the last cig last night, and didn't buy another pack today! Go me!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:38 PM on May. 24, 2009