How do you train a dog not to jump up on people?

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 8:57 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Pets

• you can find a lot of good info online just by googling. The main thing is making sure a dog is never given any reinforcement or attention for jumping. The dog should not get any attention at all unless he has "four on the floor". Even negative attention for jumping is attention. Have people completely ignore the dog and turn their backs on him if he is jumping or too excited.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:01 PM on May. 22, 2009

• spray bottle full of water has done the trick for us...she just sees the bottle come out now and stops whatever she's doing.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:10 PM on May. 22, 2009

• KTMOM has it exactly right. Even bad attention is attention the pup should NOT be getting for any unwanted behavior. I have 3 well behaved pug puppies ranging from almost 4 months old to just over a year and not a single ONE of them will now jump on a person. Though the "Ignore it" method is hard with small children (such as I have) around AND with smaller breed dogs, if you just stick with your guns, it'll get thru to the dog that you don't like that behavior. Dogs thrive on making their person happy...and will do anything to please you and get your attention (good or bad). As for the spray bottle full of water, sure that can work with some animals and behaviors, but it also depends on your dog specifically. I, personally wouldn't use it, because I think it's mean. NO, not as mean as say a shock collar, but that's just MY opinion. To each their own, ya know? Best of luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I also want to add that I am NOT putting down people who do use spray bottles of water to train dogs! Seriously! If it works for you and your pets, then sometimes you have to do those things. I know when I was a teenager, we had a stubborn dog who kept pottying in the house and my dad would rub his nose in the pee or poo every time and I thought that was SO mean to do, but it DID work! Maybe I'm just too sensitive when it comes to animals? Still to this day, when my youngest pup has an accident (which she occasionally does) I won't rub her nose in it! I just clean it up and say "Bad girl!" to her. That's how I trained the boys I have and it takes more time than rubbing noses, but it DOES work, eventually, if you have patience to do it that way. Anyways, use whatever method you find works for you and your dog! and again, best of luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on May. 23, 2009

• When a dog jumps up when walking in the door, have the person take one step toward the dog when his paws on on you. Taking great care NOT to step on the dog. Go slowly. You don't want to knock the dog on his back. Your intention is to make him slightly off balance so that he has to put all four paws on the floor. While doing this also add the command down.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:15 PM on May. 23, 2009