Are there any legit stay-at-home jobs? If so, how do I get involved?

I recently lost my job and I'm 29 weeks pregnant. No one is looking to hire someone who will need maternity leave within the first 90 days of employment but I can't afford not to work. Any ideas??

Annetastic

Asked by Annetastic at 10:09 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Perhaps when you apply you can state on your resume, that you can work from home during your maternity leave. A lot of employers would love that type of enthusiasm. Or you could do house cleaning or baby sitting.. obviously you'll have to keep it light (no heavy lifting).. they aren't great jobs.. but you can work with most home owners on the house cleaning.
    Also.. don't be afraid to apply for WIC.. and/or welfare.. or unemployment or all of the above.. it's hard finding a job right now.. and it doesnt' hurt to get help before you loose more than just your job (remember it can take up to a month to actually get put into the system to start recieving help, so act fast, remember if you find a job, you can always cancel the assistance programs, but if you don't find one.. you'll still have bills to be paid...)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:43 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I have put together a series of work at home articles on eHow.  They contain great ideas, resources and links.  Please check them out when you have time.  I think they might help you.  I have put them all together in my Journal here at Cafemom:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1396278/Work_at_Home_Article_Series_on_eHow

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:06 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It is illegal for someone to refuse to hire you because you are pregnant. If you know that this has happened, you must file a claim with the EEOC.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). There is a company located outside of Chicago that matches up VAs & clients called VSI; the url is www.avirtualstaff.com.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who make children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the midwest. I work out of my home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping and business organization; I also do career and job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms with resumes, coverletters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I have a list on my website... They are all legit but not all hireing all the time. So apply everywhere.

www.Sabrinas-Closet.info

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Hi, try starting your owm lucrative home based buisiness where you only have to recruit two people and you can earn 6,000 over and over.There are no monthly fees or inventory or selling involved.The only thing you have to do is benefactor two people in .We have a great mentor and great upline support.You can also earn a free vacation when you first cycle out.Take a look the sight if this is something your intersted in let me know and write me and I will benefactor your way in.

http://www.6k4you.com/jadahome2005
    Mandy1974

Answer by Mandy1974 at 12:35 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Yes,

Work at home...and spend more time with your children!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:02 PM on May. 24, 2009