I stop breastfeeding my almost 4 y.old daughter when she was 2, and now she has a She has the obsession of pinching/grabbing the neck and moves her mouth as if she is being nursed.

Please tell me if you have had some experience like that, what did you do to stop it, I am worried because though it seems insignificant, now it is a constant and natural behavior with anyone around her, to be honest it really bothers me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't have any advice to stop it; I do know behaviors like this are quite normal at this age. Have you asked her why she likes to do it? Can you offer other kinds of cuddles, with a gentle, "That tickles, can we snuggle like this?" or "I don't like that. Do you want a hug? I love your hugs."

My 4 yo did some things like this, as well as baby-talk and other "baby" behaviors, with me and several other people that she thought might give her attention. Meeting the need as much as possible seemed to help, and now she is almost 5 and hasn't done any of it for quite some time.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:55 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The sucking may just be a comfort measure for her, or just bc she is bored and is entertaining herself. I am sure it's nothing to worry about. Has she been doing it the last two years or just started? If it just started, it probably has nothing to do with having been nursed. It doesn't sound like anything that won't pass either way though.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 11:12 PM on May. 22, 2009

• almost the same happened to me with the only difference was that my son was seening his younger brother breastfeed. Soon after my youngest start eating that went away. hope this help
    Good luck
    KarlaAracely

Answer by KarlaAracely at 12:58 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Is she doing it cause it bugs you? I would just tell her to stop she is 4 she understands that.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:14 AM on May. 24, 2009