How can I get back the love of my daughter?

She is 4 y.old, and I have a baby boy who is 1, since he came I feel she only loves her daddy, I know I´m being as child as her, but I really miss the relation we had before, now she doesn´t show any affection to me, I try to pay attention to her, play with her, hug and kiss her, but end up fighting cuz she does things to make me mad, and most of the time she wins, and I finally yell at her and spank her, then I feel terribly bad, and she even more distant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She is at an age where girls usually start preferring Daddy. Also you are the one who brought in a new baby, to a 4 year old it is all Mom, Dad had nothing to do with the baby coming. My mother told me that when she brought my little brother home I would not interact with her at all for a few months, when my Dad left for work I would just sit waiting for him to get home, I was only 20 months, so I don't remember it but she said I pretended she did not even exist! You need to get some time for just you and DD to go do her favorite activity, make a special "girl time" and leave DS home with DH.
    Anonymous

• I think you are stressing too much about this. If you will just relax and be yourself around her, everything will be fine. There's a special bond between little girls and their daddies, so just be thankful for that and enjoy your family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

• She sounds normal. Most kids switch between daddy and mommy. Don't worry or stress.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:21 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Sounds like you need to relax. It is normal. You can love and play with her and stop when you feel yourself geting flusterated. Getting mad when tring to play iwth her and have a good time and the spanking her is not going to help your situation at all.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:16 AM on May. 24, 2009