is it safe...

my sons fathers house has lots of animals and my son is just 9 months old. he has 4 dogs and 5 cats and 6 kittins and all in the house. i have told him to fix that and take the animals out. but when he tells his mother she just has a shit fit. i am not that strong in telling others what i feel well i am just not my ex mother-in-law. what can i do or what should i have already done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Pets

• If it isn't your house, you can't rightfully tell them to get rid of any of their animals. If it his actually his MOTHER'S home, and not HIS home, then you DEFINITELY don't have a right to ask or demand that.

We have 2 adult dogs, 1 puppy, and 3 cats. It's perfectly safe, as long as you are responsible. Are the animals clean and healthy? Do they keep the house clean? Yes? Then that is all that matters. If the animals are good around children, that's great. If not, keep the baby away from the dogs when he is there. Cats will generally stay out of a baby's way unless they are used to it anyway.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:39 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Another thing, are you even stilll WITH this guy? If you aren't than you really REALLY don't have a right to make his mother get rid of her pets!
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I agree with what Jynxx said. The only way you would have any right to ask for them to secure the animals in another room is if your son has allergies to pet dander/fur. Even then you can always have daddy visit the baby at your home if that is the case.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:48 PM on May. 22, 2009

• We've had as much as 3 dogs, 2 adult cats and 8 kittens in the house at one time. Like Jynxx said, as long as the house is kept clean, and the pets are well cared for, there's nothing unsafe about them being around your baby. AND she's also right in the fact that you don't have the right to ask or demand they remove their animals. To be completely honest, if someone told me to get rid of one of my pets (I now only have 3 dogs) I'd simply kick them off my property! Don't like what's in my house? TOO BAD! These pets live here, you don't!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on May. 23, 2009

• As long as the iffy pets (ones that could potientally harm your 9-month-old) are placed in a safe area, and the rest are watched very, very closely, it should be perfectly safe. My SO's mother has this huge yellow lab that just runs around the house like crazy, and even though he might not harm out of intent, he will definitely harm my son accidentally! I refuse to have my son there, or on the floor with that galloping beast present. They also have another dog that is much older and very laId back, I have no concerns about her, just the yellow lab knocking my son over in madness. But, no, you cannot make them get rid of any animals. Just come to an agreement (like I did... Bubs is put outside when I visit with my baby!)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 8:32 PM on May. 25, 2009