SOs family complaining about location of DD's b-day party?

My family lives across the country. My SO's family lives in the same city, yet they have made NO EFFORT to get to know my 11 month old dd. Even SO's mother!!

I decided to play nice and have a little get together for my dd's first b-day party at a local restaurant. I told my SO about the plans, and of course he told his family. You'd think they would be happy that I thought of them, and wanted them to see the baby.........

WRONG!

SO's uncle and his gf complained that they got sick at this particular restaurant. SO's mother says SHE has gotten sick there. Yet SO and I have been there on numerous occasions and have NEVER gotten sick! In fact, it's a VERY popular restaurant chain. They food quality is VERY good.

After SO told me this, now I don't want to have the get-together. I think it's RUDE AS HELL what they said. SO says we'll have it there anyway...if they don't want to come, then screw 'em.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• It was nice of you to include your SO's family in the luncheon, and it was very rude of them to make such remarks. I guess if that restaurant 'made them sick' maybe they should just stay home. I personally would not change things to accomodate them, (since they have not made an effort to get to know baby) - I would stick with the plans and say "well we are going to do this, join us or not, it is YOUR choice". I think you are right to have the actual birthday as just you and SO at home. I would not invite them to that.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:14 AM on May. 23, 2009

• CONT:

What would YOU do?
    Anonymous

• I'd go with what he said. Their loss.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:39 PM on May. 22, 2009

• i would say if you dont liek the restaurant then either dont come or come and dont eat. simple as that. they make no effort to see anyother time so you shouldnt change your plans for them!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:39 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I see both sides, I've been to a restaurant where I got sick and was asked to go again and I didn't want to, but I went I just didn't eat. Also if they're just doing it to be rude then I see your side. If it's a restaurant for children then go, I would honestly want to go some where for my child to have a good time and good food. She is only turning 1, keep your plans or get a small cake and do it at home and let her make a mess with her own cake. We didn't invite anyone to both our kids 1st b-day, there really is no point, they don't do anything! LOL I would just keep your plans or again do it at home so she's comfortable and happy with a cake to herself!!
    Anonymous

• OP

We ARE planning a small celebration at home on her actualy b-day (3 days after the get together). The purpose of the get-together was to give SO' family a chance to see the baby. The "home celebration" will be just me, SO and baby.
    Anonymous

• sorry about the typos!

**actual
    **SO's
    Anonymous

• You are having a birthday party at a restaurant for a 1 yr old? I think that's silly myself. You said YOUR child, does that mean it's not SO's baby? Maybe that's the problem. Personally I think first birthdays should be spent at home where the birthday child is comfortable not where she has to sit in some seat and behave while mom and dad feed themselves in some public place. I'm with the SO's family. It's not a good idea. Stay home and if they want to drop by then so be it but if it's not his kid, don't hold your breath.
    Anonymous

• OP

Ok, once again, it's not really a "party". It's a get together: we're going there to have lunch with our dd, we're invited his family to have lunch with us, so they can see the baby. No party decor, no cake, etc. When dd starts getting fussy or squirmy, we're outta there. I just called it a "party" because it's a few days before her b-day, and his family is not going to come to MY house on her b-day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 23, 2009