Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People who have recently dealt with the immigration process in the US, I would like to hear about your experience.

**PLEASE NOTE If you feel like bashing or going on an anti-illegal immigrant rant, please do it elsewhere. This is NOT a drama post.
My husband's parents brought him here to the US when he was a baby. He has lived and grown up here in the US nearly his whole life. His first language is English and is not fluent in his native language. We have been trying to get him a "green card" for four years now, ever since we have been married. We have put thousands of dollars into this process and a lot of time. We were recently informed by the department of state that in order for him to get a Visa he must go back to his "home" country to go to an interview. During that interview it will be determined when, or even if, he is allowed to get a Visa and be allowed back home here in the US. After many hours on the phone waiting I finally got through to some one and he said this is the ONLY way for my husband to get a visa.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (7)
  • To travel and indefinetly stay in his "home" country would be an extreme burden on us. Financially, it seems impossible. We have two young children and taking them to a foreign country for an unknown amount of time is ridiculous. On top of that I would have to leave my job, our house, family, and everything else. How are we supposed to pay for our mortgage and billls if I have to leave our only source of income? How can we pay for a trip, a hotel stay (for who knows how long), food, and every other living expense in a foreign country without any income? We were told that after he is approved for his visa the wait to get it could be anywhere from 3 months to ten YEARS! In the best case senario of 3 months would be financially impossible. Where are we supposed to live for 3 months? What about our house?


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • The person I talked to in the department of state said there is NO possible way we can have this interview here in the US. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What did you do? I am looking for people who have dealt with this recently since the process changes so often.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • It is very true that he has to go back to get one, my DH's father and mother are from some where else and they had to go back for 1 year to get one. It goes by quicker if your married and have a job and a home in the US. By quick I mean up to 1 year, it sucks but thats the truth. If his job really wants him then they can ask for a job waiver of some kind, I don't know what it's called but they have to pay for some waiver for him to stay in the states while he gets his VISA. Try this and tell the company he works for that you guys will pay the fee for his waiver. I hope this helps.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • OP-- Thank you for your answer anon :45.... though it doesn't bring much hope. He doesn't have a job here in the US. He is not allowed to work here until he gets the permanent residency card that we have been trying to get for 4 years now.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • No he does not need to go back home.You need to find a good immigration lawyer who will help you. .There are other ways to make him legal in US, how he can get is green card. The first thing what our lawyer said is not to leave the US.Our process was 5 years long.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on May. 23, 2009

  • My best friend brought her dh over from France. We found the process to be expensive but fair. Have you tried contacting the consulate of his native country for help?

    Answer by lovinangels at 10:05 AM on May. 23, 2009

  • I am canadian and I married a us citizen and had a baby 2 years ago. I came over lol drove 6 hours to come here. on a visa waiver program and I'm almost done with getting my green card. yay. it's been almost 2 years for the paper work process. so it takes forever and I can't travel or work until I get the green card which is hard during the holidays as I wish to see my family but it's something all legal immigrants have to go though. I have payed over 2000 dollars for this entire process. which I think is not that bad as some people have to get a lawyer to fill out simple paper work. .

    Answer by amanda_23 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.