Baby food?

when did you introduce baby food? and what kinds?

kcandie

Asked by kcandie at 12:00 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started eating baby jar foods stage one about a week before he turned 3 months. He ate carrots, sweet peas, sweet potatoes, apple sauce, bananna's, peaches. We just let him try them one at a time and wait about a week between. He really loves it! We introduced baby cereal to him when he was about 1 month and 3 weeks. He really like his baby cereal but now has to have a flavored cereal so we feed him the apples and cinnamon cereal. Hope this helps ya :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:39 AM on May. 23, 2009

• BM or formula is all they need for nutrition for the first year. The solids are to learn about texture, taste, and play. We started my DD on solids at 5.5 months due to severe reflux. I started her on veggies, I steamed them and then mushed them up until they were lumpy and soft. After a few weeks of this I switched her to talbe foods. Just steamed them until they were soft enough for her gums and let her chew it. A frozen bag of peas, carrots, and corn are the right size so they can work on their pinscher grasp. You could also cut them into slices so that they can grasp them. Babies should not start solids until they are at least 6 months old unless there is a problem like reflux and should able to feed themself. If my next child does not have a medical condition I will start the slow introduction at 6 months but probably won't really make it a habit until they are at least 1 yr old.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:55 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My dd a few days before turning 6 months. She's tried all the veggies and has tried banana, pears, and peaches and loves them all!.

Ask your childs doc when they suggest giving your child solids.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:58 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I started giving it to mine at about 4 months. And I gave her every kind there was! I wanted her to get used to lots of different flavors so that hopefully she doesn't end up a super picky eater like ME.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:25 AM on May. 23, 2009

• oh and by the way... I've heard a lot of people (including a poster above) say that babies only NEED formula or BM until 12 months... but my DD was at 15 pounds for 3 months. I couldn't get her to gain weight. I tried everything I could think of. Even doubled her formula intake everyday and nothing. Then I started her on table food at 8 months old. With in a week and half she gained three pounds! So obviously, SHE needed it. And I doubt she is the only baby in the world that does...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:27 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You ever think she was just not gaining because she was about to hit a growth spurt? DD didn't gain weight for the longest time and then gained really quickly. She was on BM only. Some people...
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:59 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Remember, solids given to babies before they turn one are for the experience of eating them; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula. Nutritionists recommend not starting solids until baby is six months old; many now suggest skipping the cereal and starting with a bit of mashed avocado (lots of good fats for babies' growing brains) mixed with a little breastmilk or formula. Baked sweet potato is another great early food. Jarred foods taste awful, and cost a lot of money. Super Baby Food is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com
    Make sure that you avoid the allergy triggers. Before age 2, not chocolate, honey or nuts. Before age 1 (not a complete list) no wheat, dairy, soy, citrus, strawberries, egg white

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 PM on May. 23, 2009