ADD?

is it possible for a 3 yr old to have ADD? idk if my son just dosent want to listen to me if tis b/c his sister is coming in aug or if he could have ADD me and his dad both have it but his dad is a lot lot lot worse than i am idk if its genetic r not. he never listens to me punishments dont work...i have tried timeouts, spanking, taking away privlages. nothing works everything is no he is constanlt running around cant stay concentrated on anything longer than 15 min. i put him in t ball thinking maybe he need to be more social with other kids and get some energy out but he is the worst one at tball he dosent listen. like sturcute and authority just arent for him. i havent talked to his doc about it for fear of meds if he does have someting or if i am over reacting and thats just his age. HELP i am constantly stressed. with my second LO on the way im nervous that he will not get all of the attention he deserves and needs

monroemommyof2

Asked by monroemommyof2 at 12:02 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is very possible that he has ADD. I have two kids w/ it a 3 yo girl and a 5 yo boy. They are constantly going non stop. So, I try to keep them as busy as I can they go swimming 2x a day they run around outside and when they say they are tired they run some more. Even a kid w/ ADD/ADHD can't bounce of the walls when they have no energy left. And make sure he gets NO sugar. He needs regular healthy food and water or milk to drink. And obviously no caffiene. Good luck. And all the discipline in the world (positive or not) isn't going to help a child that can not make himself sit still. If the noise gets too much then I tell everyone they have to be quite for 2 minutes straight, might not be much but, for a house that is always loud two minutes of quite is great.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:53 PM on May. 23, 2009

• have you thought about changing your discipline methods. Have you ever heard of the book "positive dscipline"? It may help you out. The author wrote it while working with children who had special needs, but its for all children. I love this book and I am taking a class. Check out a book. I'm sure you can find it for cheap on Amazon.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:11 AM on May. 23, 2009

• To get an ADD diagnosis talk to his dr. If you just want to treat him behaviorly with the meds, or the negetive diagnosis get some books about it.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:15 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I work for a ENT specialist...and let me run this by you.........Your child could have ADD...but also, when kids come in with chronic tonsil problems...like big tonsils or anything like that....they are sometimes mistaken with ADD...when really they need there tonsils out because what they tend to do is......they dont get a good night sleep with big tonsils, and they are very tired during the day. But they fight it, so they dont learn as well and dont listen because they are over tired and are always trying to fight sleep through the day cause they dont want to miss anything. Alot of times, when there tonsils come out, they are like a different child. Because they finally get rest and they can pay attention better throughout the day. whats your thoughts?
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

• he had surgery to get his adnoids taken out and tubes put in his ears at an ENT and he checked his tonsils b/c he was constantly sick and the doc said they were fine. and we have been to the ENT 3 more times for check ups and the reg doc since his surgery and everything is great so i dont think its his tonsils. my bros were on meds from kindergarden till 8th grade when they took themselves off b/c they couldnt take they way it made them feel. if i didnt know how the meds can affect kids i would take him to the doc and let her put him on them but my bros were like zombies. they were great for the teachers but they never ate they were already skinny and they lost a ton of weight, they just werent the same kids. even if he were to be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD i prob would elect not to give him the meds and find alternative ways to treat it. if he dosent start to change the way he acts i can gurantee his teachers will ask for meds
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 3:02 PM on May. 25, 2009