Should foodstamps pay for sodas,chocolate, junk food?

Another post I read made me think about food stamps and what they can be spent on. With the talk about taxes on junk food, should foodstamps be paying for junk food? I personally think they should not,junk food is an extra that should be paid for out of pocket not by the gov't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Let me guess the reason why you think they should not is because you can get food stamps so therefore you can not afford junk food.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I personally think it is none of your business what kind of food people buy. Why is this always a debate? If they need the foodstamps and they get a case of soda with the rest of their food what is the big deal ? It is people like you that make people on food stamps embarrassed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I think food stamps should be limited like WIC is. You should only get so many pounds of meat a month, so many gallons of milk, so many boxes of cereal.. etc. My step kids' Mother gets food stamps and one night she sent the 11 year old to the store and told him to get what he wanted. He got candy, cereal, and energy drinks. Ridiculous.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 12:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I think it should only be for healthy food And Anonymous answer the question or move on I hate people who put their 2 cents about the question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I do not recieve foodstamps anon 07. I would like the govt to pay my grocery bill, would save me $400 a month, but that is not gonna happen. I also think foodstamps should be like WIC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 23, 2009

• This question was not asked to cause drama, but a serious question. IF there is a tax on junk food as that is being talked about then why should foodstamps pay for it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Absolutely not. I was a cashier at a grocery store once and a family came in with two little girls and bought 30 dollars worth of candy with food stamps. I really upset me that they weren't buying some healthy food. I know energy drinks are off limits with food stamps but those rules need to be extended to candy and little debbies. I also believe that people who smoke cigarettes shouldn't be allowed food stamps. It bugs me when I see people use food stamps and then buy cigarettes. And people should definitely have to take drug tests too. I know some people who use food stamps but still manage to have money for weed, cigarettes, and beer.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 12:21 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Go answer my non-dramatic quiestion and lets just have fun tonight! I don't care who is eating a Snickers or chips on the government dime!My post is called Bored?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:24 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Well, to bad for you that you don't ontrol that. We get stamps and, yes, we buy soda and snacks and things with it. Do you realize that not everyone who eats a snack here and there is unhealthy? And soda is ok if drank in moderation. I expect the hate mails to start, now. But, there is nothing you can do to change that.
    And if the stamps were limited, how would you track what people get? I have a family of 8 that use them (we use OUR OWN MONEy for some stuff too)? How much should we be able to get? And I would also like to add that if I had the extra $400 a month to spend on food I would do it. And don't start about the whole "Have a smaller family" crap, either. There are only 3 kids in this house. Three of the adults in the house are my parents and uncle WHO ARE DISABLED!!!! So, we live here to help them out.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:24 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You would track it exactly how WIC tracks what you get.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 12:27 AM on May. 23, 2009