Why can't people leave these things behind closed doors where it belongs???

There are some subjects that have no business being discussed in school, and tonight, my 6 yr old son came home telling me all about what his friend taught him. He told him to add an extra line to the Pledge of Allegiance to say "and we are all one with God."
I mean really. What kind of horrible parent allows their kindergartner to run around teaching innocent kids about things like that? That is not appropriate at that age, and if I want my kid to learn about Jesus, it will be in my home when I decide he's old enough.
Why must people constantly push their lifestyle choices like that? And on innocent children??? That's just disgusting.

(end sarcasm, maybe - this really did happen today, need to have a nice long talk tomorrow)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:06 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OK

There's a lot of folks here who need to look up what the word "SARCASM" means. 

And to the OP...just tell your little boy he can only play with the little adopted Romanian girl with 2 Daddies!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:20 PM on May. 24, 2009

• They are six years old. I'm sure the kid wasn't trying to push propaganda on yours. Probably just something he picked up somewhere. What's next? Getting bent out of shape over, "I'm rubber, you're glue...................?"

;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I think the kid was just sharing what he learned at home, and not that he had been told to tell others about it..... Kids take things like this seriously. They want things done right, and the kid is used to adding that line.....Hey, I am religious and have to put up with a lot of anti-religious comments all the time from others, so maybe non-religious people can put up with a little religion, too....Let's accept that we have our differences in our religious views as well as so many other areas, and perhaps benefit from each others' views and learn to be more accepting of one another....................
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 12:11 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Usually I disagree with you NotPanicking but today I totally agree, if we want our children to learn about God we would send them to a religious school, at public school there is no reason for God or Jesus to be brought up. I think you need to talk with the school and that child's parents, you also need to talk to your son however you approach him(every parent is different). Just a quick comment but didn't they also take the "under God" part out of the pledge of allegiance, and now some kid is trying to make your child add God back into it?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I think you're making assumptions about another parent that you don't really know.

When I was little (like 6 or 7), I remember my friend telling me that she had learned in school that dogs had evolved from wales (or vice versa, I can't remember). I responded that I didn't believe in evolution. Her mother, who was in the car, told me "well this is what our family believes."

Little kids are going to talk to each other about various things that they learn. No one told my friend to go preach evolution from the mountain tops and I was never told to spread my creationism with the world. We were just CHATTING. Neither of our parents are horrible and neither of our parents were there with the remote controls that day, controlling what came out of our mouths.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:17 AM on May. 23, 2009

• If they can teach the myths of Darwinism, they can surely teach this.

I hope they bring back Eugenics to the class room, that's where the money is.
    MonicaGellar

Answer by MonicaGellar at 12:17 AM on May. 23, 2009

• (cont.)

It's very well that the child was just excited about something he knew and wanted to share it with a friend. Especially if there was a difference in what they each had learned, they're bound to compare notes. Children are "little scientists" and are constantly learning, reasoning and trying to make sense of things. Assuming that just because the family was religious and that the little boy shared how he thought the pledge was supposed to go was because religious people always shove their beleifs down others throats is a stereotype.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

I think you kinda missed my whole point, but that's ok.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:19 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't think it was anything that was meant to be pushy. Kids learn things everywhere and you might not even be aware of it. The other kids parents may not even know that their child adds that line. I've not heard my children recite the Pledge of Alligence, on a regular basis.

My daughter who just turned 10, freaked out the other day over motorcyclists we were walking past. Because she thought they were bad people! That is something I never taught her at all. Where she learned it, I have no idea. I explained that most people who ride motorcycles were regular people (especially the older couples that we had past that day who were in cotton walking shorts and tube socks!) and like all groups of people some are nice and some aren't. You just have to be careful, and that its rude to stereotype people.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:22 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Okay, are you being sarcastic about parents that don't want homosexual education in elementary school, or am I reaching? LOL. I substituted the word homosexality when I read it and I can see people saying that.

BTW, watch out for my dd. She will not shut up about Jesus. She even gave a Bible study to the kids in the waiting room of the JC Penny portrait studio. LOL. She cracks me up. And I promise I don't coach her : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:25 AM on May. 23, 2009