belended family 5yr old ss out of control

i can not stand my ss he is here 3 days a week and spends the night on fridays. i usually have to work when he is here but even if i have to spend a couple of hrs with him i want to leave the house. his son is a huge brat. all he has to do is wine and he gets his way he is 5 and constantly throws temper tantrums and wines like a little baby my son is 3 and dosent act like that. i have tried to talk to him about it but he just writes it off as i hate his son which i dont i just can not stand his attitude. my hubby loves my son and treats him great we have a dd together thats due in aug so i want this to work we have been together 2 yrs and it worries me he is going to turn our daughter into a brat like his son is. i want us to work but i dont want to be the evil step mom either i have tried to talk to his son help him work through his anger but i always end up being the bad person so now i ignore him. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Thats how I felt about my SS when he came to live with us. Unconditional love didn't help him a doctor did. Is he with u fulltime? My SS ended having RAD and is going to start seeing a dr about helping him. He is uncontrollable sometimes. If you can't deal with him then make his dad do it. How was life before u? If he was spoiled then he will expect it from you too.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My nephew is like that, except when I watch him bymyself, but when his mom comes home he is EVIL. I would say just let his dad deal with him and tell your husband that you don't know how to deal with that crap. Just let the kid be a little jerk, it will come back to him someday and he will learn it's not acceptable. Or tape the kid and show him how silly he looks when he is doing that.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:28 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Wow maybe you need to change your attitude about him coming from a blendedfamily is hard. Just love him unconditionly and make him feel secure discipline with love he will come around I am sure he is just trying to figure out where he fits

Anonymous

• <---- OP.....before me he was an only child and never had to share dad or mom b/c the 2 of them were never in serious relationships after they broke up with one another. then me and my SO started dating and then me and my son came into his life things were ok when i didnt live with my SO but now that we live together i cant take it. i have honestly never seen a child act the way he does EVER and he's 5! we have him 3 days during the week and he spends the night on fridays and i have my son full time besides when he goes to his dads every other weekend. i feel like i am at the end of my rope with this child so i keep my mouth shut plus his mom talk crap about me to him and even though i dislike her A LOT i have never once said anything bad about her. its a tough situation where i feel like i cant win everyone keeps telling me he will grow out of it but when its been 2 yrs.
    Anonymous