Serious question about food stamps

Since I have seen numerous questions about foodstamps on here, I got to thinking. I know nothing about them and was wondering how to you go about getting them? Who qualifies for them? We are a military family and I am a SAHM. We qualify for WIC and was wondering if we would for foodstamps as well. Is anyone here on them? How do you get them? Anything else I may need to know?? Thanks ladies..

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 1:34 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You would need to go to your local DSHS office. The base (post?) family support center should have information on how to get on it also. I know a lot of military families where the mom is a SAHM that qualify. When my hubby was an E5 we still qualified technically but we didn't get on it because we didn't really need it. But I have been on it before, when we first married 13 years ago and had our first son. It's a great program IF you just use it to get a hand up, not a hand out. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• If you get wic you should get food stamps I dont see why not

did you just post a post junk-stamps

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You have to make less than a certain amount for your size household. We're a family of 4, my DH is the only one that works and 2 years ago he only make $8.50 an hour and we didn't qualify now he makes a killing!! But still we were so struggling and we didn't qualify!! If you don't need them then don't get them!! That money can be used on schools or people in real need of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on May. 23, 2009

• No I did not..that was the 2nd or 3rd "food stamps" posting I've seen..That's what made me think about this! And I don't do the whole "anon" thing..just a personal choice.
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 1:38 AM on May. 23, 2009

• WIC's income guidelines are higher then foodstamps. Because you get WIC DOES NOT mean you will get foodstamps. There is big difference between the two, WIC is for children up to age 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on May. 23, 2009

• If you don't need them then don't get them!! That money can be used on schools or people in real need of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we didn't qualify

But it was okay for you to try and get them though

OP if you need them to feed your child go get them

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You won't know till you actually go apply. Only the county can tell you based upon income, your rent, your utilities, and your family size.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:39 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Yeah, just cuz you get WIC doesn't mean you can get food stamps!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:40 AM on May. 23, 2009

• To see if you may quailfy then go to google.com & search for your city & food stamps (Examples New York & food stamps) there should be a site that can give you a ideal to help you out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You may qualify for them, but you have to go to a DHS office and get the paperwork to fill out to apply for them. Whether it's $50 or $250...if you need them, and you get them, use them! and no, just because you qualify for WIC doesn't mean you will with foodstamps. My Hubby makes 18 bucks an hour and we get WIC...but anyway, find a DHS office, and that's where you'll find paperwork!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:42 AM on May. 23, 2009