Speech Impediment - 2 Year Old

My two year old, Jakob, seems to have what we think is a speech impediment. When he talks, he repeats the last sound in the word.

For Example, His favorite words:

Daddy, e, e, e
Steps, ss, ss, ss
Door, or, or, or
Puppy One, n, n, n
Please, ss, ss, ss

And so on...

I don't know if this is a stage that he will eventually grow out of, or if there is need for special treatment for it. We can't get him to stop saying it, no matter how hard we try. He will always say it the same with the repeated sound at the end. I've never experienced this, with my children or others. I'm looking for gentle advice regarding this (possible) concern.

new_mom_10_21

Asked by new_mom_10_21 at 1:48 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kinda sounds like a stutter, but they r usually @ the beginning of words. The only time my dd(4) has done/does somethin like that is when she is trying 2 figure out a letter (like what a word starts with). Wouldn't hurt 2 bring it up 2 his pediatrician. See what they recommend. GL
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 1:59 AM on May. 23, 2009

• my step son does this and he is 5. it personally drives me nuts....
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 9:39 AM on May. 23, 2009