Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a biological fathers rights to a child he has had nothing to do with ...

a biological fathers rights to a child he has had nothing to do with ...
I was foolish and ended up pregnant to a man who didnt want anything to do with the pregnancy and still hasnt made any contact and the baby is now over 3 months. Does anyone know if there is a time period that his rights get deminished. I ended up gettin married to my husband when i was 7 months pregnant with the baby. My husband signed the birth cert. So what would his rights be if he were to try to make contact is there any time period when his rights get deminished is what i really need to know.... I live in Pennsylvania

Answer Question

Asked by hooten_annie at 2:05 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If your husband's name is on the birth certificate then he is considered the father. The only way that could change is if the Biological father asked the court to have a DNA test done. But i dont see why he would do that. If he did then he would have to pay child support.

    But to be sure if this is the law in your state... look it up or talk to a lawyer or family services.

    Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

  • if your husband and not the bio father is on the certificate then the only way then would be if the bio father challenged it and they did a patunity test but then he would be stuck with child suport . odds are he may not go that far. good luck

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:54 AM on May. 23, 2009

  • if your husbands name is on the birth certifict the legally your husband is the childs father

    Answer by destinyfaithmom at 10:46 AM on May. 23, 2009

  • It seems unlikely that the bio dad will suddenly show up and exercise his rights as the biological father, given the lack of interest he's shown. However, these things do sometimes happen. As other folks have said, your husband, because he is the declared father on the birth cert, is the legal parent. But if a DNA test were ever involved, your ex could potentially exercise his rights, demand visitation, etc. (To do so, however, as Mrs.Owen86 notes, would also result in his assuming some financial responsibilities.)

    Worst case, your ex comes forward, demands a paternity test and asserts himself as the bio father. This doesn't mean he'll take your child just means he'll likely get visitation--and have to help with financial support. Is this necessarily terrible? Assuming he's an ok guy, your child would have another loving adult in his/her world, and still have your husband as Dad, too.

    Answer by Mamastheword at 11:25 AM on May. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.