Question for Toddler Mommies

A friend of mine has a child that is 8 months older than mine. (My child is a year, hers is 20 months) We usually let them play together, but lately her child has been aggressive towards mine (pushing down, hitting, slapping, etc). Today, when her child didn't know I was watching, the aggression took on a whole new level. I watched her child grab my by the sides and squeeze, then fling around by the shirt. So, I told her child that was a no no, and grabbed my child and left. Later finding gauges in my childs sides and back where the squezzing has taken place. IS THIS NORMAL FOR THIS AGE?

Please help, I don't want this to go on any further than it has to... Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No it isn't normal, my son is 2 and my daughter is 1 and the worst he has done is rolled over her to get her from laying on him! She slaps him and he just says "sissy no no" and walks off, he has also tried to hold her hand to walk around with her and he did squeeze a little too hard but he didn't mean to. I've never seen my son hit her in any kind of way or try to hurt her. He has pushed another little boy out of the way when a book was falling but I'm assuming it was to get him out of the way. My son is only 24 months so he's not like almost 3 and being a big kid. He is really gentle, and he has a cousin his age and she is the same way. Really gentle and if my daughter tried to take something from her she just said "no mine" but didn't take it from her she just ran to her mom and said "mine momma mine". So it's not normal, his parents need to put him in timeout for doing that!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My daughter is almost 3 she did have this kind of behavior it has sort of faded off but she would do the same things if another child made her mad or played with something she didnt want them to but she is learning to share now and that is why it has faded
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 2:21 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Earlier, her child had been doing the walking up to mine and pushing down, this happend several times, and she didn't say anything to her child. When we spoke later, she said that there was nothing wrong in the behavior of her child, and that she can't constantly disipline her child everytime my child gets hurt by hers. I have tried talking to her about this behavior, and she said that it wasn't intentional, but it just seems to be getting worse with them. My child is a very happy, and passive little one, loves to smile.. I finally told her that our children would no longer be playing together for a while. I just don't know what else to say to her, or do about this!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It sounds to me like her child is already learning that he/she can get away with whatever they want. When I see my children push each other or others, they are immediately punished, be it a warning or being taken away from the fun. Every time I see it. Consistency is very important. I think you were right in keeping your child from the situation in the future.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:34 AM on May. 23, 2009