When did Kindergarten get so difficult? Do teacher's now days think we are applying for Harvard?

I am frustrated. I cannot believe that your 5 year old need to learn to write and know at least 12 letters, color within the lines, etc. What is this? What ever happened to learning through play? I cannot remember K being so difficult. Teachers used to teach kids to read. What do they do now? Just watch them not kill each other? Isn't school supposed to be the teaching ground for children? I understand that I am to help him at home but I feel like I am doing their job. Never mind the fact of schools now days labeling children. They all learn at different levels why do we have to label them to be all the same? I have not read anywhere that Einstein, Bach, Newton, etc. were taking standarized test. Can someone give me support please. I am so desperate. My son is not getting the letter concept, however he is brilliant with science. He is also very empathetic, something that I consider more imp. as a contribution to humanity.

Mel191

Asked by Mel191 at 2:47 AM on May. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried the Leap Frog fridge magnets? They worked great with my older dd learning her letters. I guess what schools require depends on where you are. My dd is advanced for K because she knows most of her letters, and can write her nickname. This is a website I use to print off to help her to learn how to write letters.

LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:03 AM on May. 23, 2009

• it's sad to say but they want them to pass those stupid standardized tests which i think are ridiculous. They are basically training them to take tests nowadays. Learning the old fashioned way is a thing of the past.

It is ridiculous. I think some school districts go overboard with making sure the kids pass the tests and it falls on the poor teachers heads(and some caring parents like you) to make sure they pass them. because the schools get a kick back from the state for achieving high percentiles. They want to be known as a "blue ribbon school" where i grew up in indiana. These poor kids get so stressed out too, especially the younger ones.

Have you tried noggin or pbskids.org. they have some letter friendly games on those sites. It's been a while since i've been there. If i think of anymore sites I'll post them here for ya. Fisher price has some games there too.

Also leap frog toys are awesome learning tools.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:04 AM on May. 23, 2009

• www.starfall.com is a good site that alot of teachers use.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 4:10 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I remember in elementary school we got graded on our handwriting
    They thought i wasn't as intelligent because i had messy hand writing.
    But i was looking back over my workbooks a few months back cuz we were doing some cleaning
    And i did all this math right and i got graded down for my handwriting.
    IN 1ST GRADE.

It's ridiculous
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 4:17 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It IS ridiculous...you're right. This is another reason why I homeschool. Now my kids can learn at their own pace and with their own style =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:25 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I have to agree with the OP! I have children entering K and 2nd grade in the fall. I couldn't BELIEVE that my 1st grader was learning about "rectangular prisms, vertices, angles and planes" in FIRST GRADE!! I KNOW that I was only using those red grease pens on clear sheets in my "Dick and Jane" style books back in the 70's!

It has everything to do with:

1.) No Child Left Behind educational requirements which are tied into federal subsidies of school districts, as a result teachers now "teach to test" just what children need to know.

2.) Teachers being forced to spend more time on "cultural diversity, anti-bullying, tolerance, and alternative lifestyles programs, and less on "learning through play and creativity at ones own pace."

3.) Behavior Mgmt--"lead, follow or get out of the way!"

4.) Competitive preschool programs that MOST children have attended prior to K, and as a result already know MOST of the K curriculum!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:46 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Just curious, is your child already in Kindergarten or starting in the fall?
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 9:02 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Ok, so I'm not trying to be a dissident but, I don't think it's too much to ask for a kindergartener to be able to write & know 12 letters. I used to be a teaching assistant in a kinderagrten class room & that is what was required of them in the Catholic school I volunteered at. While I totally agree that schooling should not be focused on getting results on standardized tests, I really didn't hear anything in your post that sounded overboard. I would talk to your childs teacher & principal, if necessary, to make sure that your childs learning needs are being met & that his strengths are being recognized. I agree that you childs character is far more important to humanity than anything else but, he is going to need to do these things to get to first grade. I know it must be very frustrating but, I think rather than getting mad at the system, flawed as it may be, isn't as constructive as maximizing your resources. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 23, 2009

• There is a real push right now to force children to grow up way before it's time for them to be anything except little children. Look at the clothing that is available. Most of it looks like it was designed for 40 year olds rather than 6 year olds. You don't have to participate in it. You can keep them at home longer. All you have to do is sign papers, and you can teach them at home until you feel they are ready for the "adult world." It makes me furious. Children need to be allowed to be children, to have fun, to play, to love life just because. There's a lifetime of being an adult and there's no need to rush them into it. Fight back. Just say no to it!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:23 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I agree with you on a few points but I disagree with you on other points. First, the push to make kids do more faster is definitely an issue. They do not let kids learn at their own pace anymore. I think it has to do with us and our own issues of pride. Kindergarten is more advanced now a days but luckily my kids never had issues with it. I find busywork very annoying. I think that doing school work at school and then again at home is stupid. I disagree with you about doing their job. Teaching your child and making sure he knows what he needs to know for life is YOUR JOB. As a parent, you are responsible for your child and outcome of his life. Yes, they do go to school and sit under a teacher all day, but at the end of the day, when all is said and done, its not the teachers probelem if your child doesnt know what he needs to know. You might not get the best teacher every year and sometimes our kids don't learn all they...cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on May. 23, 2009