When is the earliest to potty train a boy?

I heard babies do not have control over their sphincter muscles before they reach the age of 2. Is this true?
When is a good time to start?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 3:20 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I heard that too. But honestly I think it is different for every child.. My son couldn't control his til he was just past 3. My dd could control her's just before she was two. Easiest way to tell is let them play in the tub or outside naked. Eventually they will need to pee and they will just start peeing. If you talk to them and tell them not to peepee yet and they stop it then they have control over it. However that may not mean they are quite mentally prepared for it.
    Lacy_2

Answer by Lacy_2 at 3:28 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I know several people who PT from birth. It's called elimination communication. I dont think thats true, my son has been holding his poo since he was about 14 months old. If we notice he has to go or has started going we run him to the potty. He'll hold it until you let him off and then he'll either go in the diaper or strip and go in a corner. You start whenever you feel your child is ready. If you try and they arent ready, wait a couple more weeks and try again.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:49 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It is different for every child. The average is actually around 18 months though. But remember, that simply means they are now capable of holding their pee or poo and learning to release it at the proper time. It doesn't mean they are ready (or willing) to actually learn to do that. There's more to potty training than the physical ability to hold it.

And yes, as sk-tennyson says, some people use EC from birth. That's different than potty training though in that it teaches the parent to recognize the physical signs that the child gives just before he's about to pee or poo. Then the parent can race the child to the potty so he can go there. The child will still need to be potty trained at some point so he can learn to race himself to the potty.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:39 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I personally think it is different for every child too my daughter was almost completely potty trained at 15 months but my son is 20 months and shows not to much interest so we will start when he is 2 I think thats a good age to start thinking about it.
    BellahMom

Answer by BellahMom at 12:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My sister doesn't think you should even bother a little boy until he's almost 3. I agree, not that you should discourage going in the toilet, just that boys start a bit later than girls, usually. Every child is different.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 12:44 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my son is 21 mos. and hes not realy sure wat to do wit his potty i think he is also scared of it too cus hes used to his diaper.....but his almost 3yr old bro isnt at all interested i dont think he has a potty either!but there oldest uncle was complety potty trained by 2 so its realy all different1
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 1:01 PM on May. 23, 2009

• When they are ready
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:56 PM on May. 23, 2009