Could my pug be depressed?

Ok, quick as I can here. I have 3 pugs. They're all good dogs, but recently one of them as been not eating and whiney. The ONLY chance as of late is that we had to get rid of our cat because my son is allergic. Could it be that he's missing her? They were pretty good buddies, but weren't together a whole long time before she had to go. She was a stray that walked into our house one evening just a few days before she ended up giving birth to kittens. He didn't act like this when the kittens left home, but since Lilly is gone, Harley (the pug) just kinda lays around and whines and looks towards my daughter's room (that's where Lilly spent most of her time. I'm thinking he's depressed, but she was only here for a couple of months...is that possible? He's going to the vet on Monday, but I'm hopeful to get some ideas on here because he won't hardly eat or drink. He's not sick, he's up to date on all his shots and vet care...idk!

boosma

Asked by boosma at 3:47 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, sounds like he is depressed. My pug was depressed, but we didn't give him meds. Instead we try to take more one on one time for him. Ever since my son was born (Dec 06), he's been having a really hard time bc before he was an only "child." He's gained six pounds in this time, which I realize is not much, but he doesn't even look like the same dog. Just go with what the vet says, but they may try to medicate, which isn't always bad, but you have to look at the long term effects esp bc pugs don't particularly have a long lifespan and they may jump out of the depressed state if you really try to work with them! Good Luck and I hope your little guys gets out of this bump!
    LuccasMommy

Answer by LuccasMommy at 5:04 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Also, I realize I'm putting a human emotion to the dog, so please don't think I'm stupid for that, I've just never had to deal with this type of behavior and I'm worried about him!
    boosma

Answer by boosma at 3:49 AM on May. 23, 2009

• i would say yes hes sad you might try to get him some new toys to get his monf off it ! my other cat of 14 yrs was put down few months back and my other cat is ok now but at first would look for her !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on May. 23, 2009

• A friend of ours had one of their dogs pass away recently and the other dog had a hard time with it. The 2 dogs were always together. They are just spending a lot of time with their remaining dog and taking him everywhere they go. In time the pup should come out of it, like humans he probably is grieving the loss of his friend.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 7:41 PM on May. 23, 2009