what are some of the dumbest things you've seen other parents do with their children?

Mine would have to be allowing an 8 month old sips of beer... because granny says it will help her sleep at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 AM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not strapping their kids in the carseat correctly. People think they know how to do it and just do it haphazardly. They don't even bother reading instructions or having someone show them how to properly install it. I would also have to say that I work with parents of children with severe behavior problems. I could write a book about some of the things those parents have done.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:08 AM on May. 23, 2009

• My cousin has twins (a boy and a girl). I think they're about 2 now. When we visited around Christmas time, he was sticking the little boy's fingers in his beer and the little boy would suck on his hand and be all happy. It made me super uncomfortable.

Another time, my ex's friend had her 3 year old daughter in the car with no car seat. Then when she finally got her a car seat it was a really old one. It was loosely put in the car, the straps were really twisted, and it was just a mess. And I had given them a car seat for her (don't remember where I got it though), and they didn't even use it! It was nice and NEW and after giving it to them I never saw it again. Pisses me off sooooo bad!!!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:29 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Crossing a busy four lane road only holding a 18 month old hand.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 8:44 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I worked in child care for 20 years, I can write a book about the stupid things I have seen parents do and or say. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I saw someone give a 2 week old baby strawberries. My problem isnt with giving solides (you kid your rules right) but why would someone risk their life with an allergen like strawberries?? Do people not know what food allergies are these days? Abouth a month later they were doing peanut butter and I about fainted.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:41 AM on May. 23, 2009

• The stupidest thing I've seen with my own eyes was a woman who beat her child silly in the Wal-Mart parking lot because she wouldn't stop "talking."

The stupidest thing I know about but haven't seen...someone in my family gave their child Benadryl when they were an infant.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:05 AM on May. 23, 2009

• You can give an infant benedryl. My daughter has it when she gets an accidental egg exposure. Of course its only completely neccesary though, not to make her sleep or something stupid like that.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• When parents over sterilize things that their kids touch or play with.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:00 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I cant stand to see a kid riding down the road jumping all over the place in a car. Their momma ought to be ashamed for not putting him in a car seat!! The germ-freak mom's are weird too.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• What about the steady stream of junk fed to kids? I see toddlers with cola in their baby bottles carrying a bag of french fries regularly. The parents who complain that their kids only eat mac & cheese and chicken nuggets, yet can't figure out how to keep them out of their homes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 PM on May. 23, 2009