Why do you think that individuals who own a home or have a car are the ones whose applications are accepted "first" to become "public assistance recipients"?

For moms who think that the recipients are taking advantage of the system. Think twice of what the gov is really doing. This question is going to ease your minds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its based on income. Of course you do have to show all assets, but I don't see how someone could hide them. About 3 yrs ago, my husband was out of work for 4 mos. We had never asked for or received assistance in our lives..ever, but I was desperate. So I went in and applied for FS for a few months. They wanted everything. I had to provide birth certificates and ssn for EVERY family member, checking statement, savings statement, 401k information and proof that we had no access to the money, stocks, bonds, credit union accts, EVERYTHING. We had two cars that were paid for but she never asked me about them. I would have never sold my cars to pay for food. That would be counterproductive. She even told me that we had to have SOME income soon or they would look into placing my children with someone else. It was horrible. I will never go there again. I would rather starve.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:26 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Do you have an info link or something that I can read about?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:44 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Were is your proof to your statement?????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 23, 2009

• They aren't. They are told they "make too much" and if they really need help, they have to juggle stuff around, like sign their house over to their parents or somebody till they get back on their feet. BUT...those are the people who are off in less than 2 years compared to others who learn how to stay on public assistance for the next 3 generations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Well we were denied a few years back simply BECAUSE we owned a house and didn't rent. They didn't even look at the rest of our application at that point! I would like to see your proof of this statement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I dont think your statement is true at all. I dont think it matters if a person owns a house or car. I own my car! An 87' Taurus.. lmao! I think it all depends on the actualy income of the home. Someone can own a home that was GIVEN to them by family- owning anything doesnt mean shit.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:13 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Actually,and I know this for a fact,because I work in a major retailer and see it everyday, the ones who get accepted first are the ones who know how to lie the best,and hide assets. I guarantee this is true. I see it all the time. It's infuriating,to say the least. Especially when you see them laughing and bragging about it. Meantime, the honest,hard-working ones, trying to make it can't get the help they desperately need because the idiot liars have ruined the system for everyone else!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Well of course the best liars get through. They know exactly what it is in order to qualify, so they lie around that to make themselves look like the perfect recipient.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

• It would be too much work to try and hide all that. So basically they werent used to having a middle class family in there, I guess. Just recently, my husbands hours had been cut and we have been really struggling to buy groceries for a few months. My mom has been helping me and she asked me if I was willing to go apply again and I said no. When we make money, we make a lot of money, and when we dont, then we don't make any, so I though I would look silly going to the dfcs office in my LIncoln navigator, with my ralph lauren shirt, my $400 cell phone and my tommy hilfiger purse. Thats all I have. I just knew that I would be judged so I decided we would make do.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:30 AM on May. 23, 2009

• my husband is a preschool teacher... he brings home a mere $1000 a month to suppot our family of 5. because we used our tax money last year to buy a car we do not qualify for insurance. we own more than is allowed ($3000. total assets is over the limit) now if i had blown that money or got a new car that i needed a loan for we could have insurance! so to answer your ? we didnt get acceped first, we never got accepted!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:42 AM on May. 23, 2009